Chapter 30 - "You plan on living until sixty?"

The day echoed Elliot's mood. The sun's light was cheery and the birds twittered away, spreading gossip on current events and reflective thoughts. A warm breeze twirled beside her as she half walked, half bounced through the Common, a pink box held in her hands. A smile stretched across her lips as she jogged across the street and bounded up the stairs to the office.

Beck looked up from his computer as she walked in. The morning light filled the room and turned the top of his blonde hair white. Kicking the door shut, Elliot raised the box.

"What's that?" Beck asked.

"It's my way of eliminating two feathered creatures with one hard object."

She set the box on the table with a flourish.

"It is to celebrate the start of writing. Also it's sweet Thursday, in honor of my friend at the bakery, Stein. Beck, you should look more excited about this!"

Beck looked at the box then up at Elliot, the hint of a smile coming to his face. She shrugged and fell back on the couch.

"I was expecting more enthusiasm, but that is probably the best I'll ever get from you," she said. Cocking her head, she studied him. "Do you know how to really smile?"

"No, I forgot how," he said.

"Beck Daniels! That is the saddest thing I have ever heard in my life." She flipped open the box and handed him a steaming muffin. "Here, this should fill that hole in your heart where happiness used to live."

He took it, fighting back a smile, his blue eyes laughing at her.

"Is this what fills the hole in your heart?" he asked.

Elliot took out a croissant and started tearing it into pieces.

"No," she said. "I fill mine with ice cream. That way it melts and I can keep refilling it. Pastries are quick to fill that hole."

"As well are your arteries."

"Those too."

Elliot glanced at the computer on Beck's lap.

"Are you already working?"

He nodded.

"Where's the typewriter?" she asked.

Beck smiled this time.

"I told you pastries fill that hole fast," she said, winking at him.

"A computer is more efficient for this project."

Elliot eyed him with mock seriousness.

"I see what you're saying," she said. "You want to be done this project as fast as possible so you can be rid of my company."

"Was it that obvious?"

"No, I'm just that wise."

Putting on a solemn expression, Elliot placed her hands together and bowed. When she straightened, she pointed dramatically at Beck.

"But know this, Beck Daniels," she said, in a deep, resonant voice. "When you leave you will no longer have free pastries, thus your source of happiness will be gone."

"So I'll be banished from every pastry shop in America?"

"Don't think it can't happen," she said. "My cousin Albert has proven that it can happen. It's the same for donut shops as well."

"Poor Albert, how does he find happiness anymore?"

"He lost a hundred and fifty pounds in eight months then put fifty pounds back on in muscle and good looks," she said. "As far as I know, he's found happiness in other places."