Chapter Thirty Six

Blade?... Favourite?... In one sentence?
Okay everyone has officially lost their mind.

They greeted each other heartily and I stared at Blade surprised seeing him looking genuinely happy and not wearing the usual annoying smirks.

"But don't tell the others," the gentleman says jokingly to Blade.

My shock was wearing off rather slowly and I had to stop myself from gaping.

"I won't pop," Blade says and a snicker escaped, hearing him talking like that.

The snicker seemed to have reminded them of my presence. The gentleman stared at me still happily smiling, then glanced back at his grandson who dear God must I say, looked slightly embarrassed.

"So who's the pretty girl?" Blade's grandfather asked and I blushed a deep shade of pink.

Blade who had caught that, smirked and my gaze fell to the ground.

"A friend," Blade replies and my cheeks grew warmer and my ears turned to flames.

"She's a nice looking one," his elderly voice spoke again and I blushed almost twice as harder.

"Yes she is," Blade agrees and my heart banged in my chest, "but don't get too close she bites."

The gentleman laughed.

"Can't be that bad," he says and I could feel Blade's eyes on me but I avoided meeting them and let his grandfather usher us inside, "well what are you two waiting for, come on in."

The first thing I noticed was how cosy and warm the house was, Blade entered behind me and the doors closed behind him. The house had a sort of old fashion decor that complimented the space. Old fashion picture frames lined the walls. I walked forward to get a clearer look. Some of the photographs were in black and white and seemed to grab my attention. I wasn't really listening to the conversation taking place between Blade and his grandfather. I was more focused on the photographs. One of the coloured ones was taken when the gentleman was a bit younger and a rather happy little boy was in the photo with him. He looked a lot like Max, but it wasn't and I figured it must have been Blade when he was around Max's age.

Blade crept up behind me and gave me a slight startle. He grinned as I released my fingers from the clenched fist. Distant soft footsteps of the gentleman came from the adjoining room which must have been the kitchen.

"Is that you?" I question out of curiosity pointing to the little boy in the picture.

"Yeah," he replies scrunching up his face at the photo.

"What happened?"

"With what?" He asks softly from over my shoulder.

"How do you go from being such an adorable little boy to being a..." I couldn't quite find the right word since asshole wouldn't do.

"You think I was adorable," he says with a chuckle.

"Surprisingly, yes," I respond looking back at the childhood Blade in the photograph.

"Just imagine, what our offsprings will look like," he whispers.

"Nonexistent," I reply looking back at him, "that's what they'll look like."

He chuckled again then shrugged and I rolled my eyes.

"Where's his wife?" I ask as my eyes landed on a gorgeous young lady in one of the black and white photos standing next to a youthful gentleman.

"Um, she passed a year ago," Blade replies and I immediately wished I had realized soon enough to not have bothered to ask.

"I'm sorry to hear that," I say sincerely and I wanted to ask how he was coping but Blade replied before I could.