Chapter Thirty Seven

Blade pulled away from me and turned to Scar. My legs felt numb and my chest felt as heavy as lead.

"See," Blade announces convincingly, "she's my girlfriend and she's just going through a thing."

Scar glared at the both of us for a whole minute nothing but silence between us. Then suddenly he began to laugh, a deep raucous laugh that could cause tectonic plates to shift.

"She has wits," he says loudly, "I like her."

Blade heaved a sigh of relief and I almost burst out laughing. Only if I myself wasn't still in shock. Scar shook his head still laughing but less loudly and made his way back to the mechanical shop.

Blade turned to me frowning and I tried to mask what I had been thinking the past few minutes from him.

"Are you nuts?" He asks.

"He liked me," I chuckle awkwardly at him.

"He could have killed us both, are you crazy?"

"Maybe I am," I mock and he scowled at me and dug his hands into his pockets.

Blade turned away and walked towards the open lot and I chuckled and fell in line next to him.

"Did you just cover my mouth then kissed the back of your hand?" I ask amused.

"I was trying to save your life," he responds annoyed.

"I was never in danger," I point out.

"Fine next time, you want to be cheeky I'll leave you at it."

"Oh come on Blade, are you upset?"

He didn't reply and I chuckled again. I noticed for the first time that his knuckles were a bit bruised and he was flexing his fingers a lot.

"What happened to your hand?"

He looked at it and shrugged, "got into a brawl."

"Who won?"

"I did, otherwise I wouldn't be standing here."

"How sad for the other guy," I frown and Blade rolled his eyes at me and I shot him a playful grin.

We walked in silence for a bit before I looked over at him and noticed a pack of cigarette sticking out his top pocket. I reached up and took it from his pocket and he didn't try to stop me.

"Have a light?"

He didn't respond and I felt the jacket pocket nevertheless as he stared over at me silently. I took the silver lighter from his pocket and lit one of the cigarettes.

"You know smoking is a bad habit," he says.

I blew a puff of smoke into the air and shrugged.

"I've seen you smoking before," I reply as he stares at me, "plus these belong to you."

"I don't smoke often, just whenever I feel the need to."

"Same goes for me."

I put the lighter back into his pocket and he continued walking and watching me.

"C'mon have one," I say holding the box up to him.

"He took one from the box but only rolled it between his fingers.

"Didn't you have a whole stash in your house?" I ask smirking.

"Not any more thanks to you, which cost me cash I could have spent on better things."

"How?"

"They weren't all mine," he replies.

"Oops, who would have thought?"