91: An Unsuspected Peck On Her Lips

Oliver executed commands one after another in a haste, and before long, most civilians were ready to leave their beloved ruined nation. It might not have never been the best. but they loved it all the same. With sadness in their eyes, they slowly went about climbing unto Phoenix.

Lea decided to remain, and so did Victor, as usual. Upon her decision, Bright was conflicted for several minutes before bidding the baby with teary eyes. With one last playful sounds, he was able to make the baby giggle. "Get her a good family there, Oliver..." He requested to the Emperor to which he received a curt nod.

Once Oliver saw to it that his passengers were settled, he approached Lea. She was sitting on a broken fountain, overlooking the whole process. He was sure this time that he might not see her for a very long time. And with that thought, he couldn't help feeling the ache in his chest. His cyan eyes expressed longing.

His steps were heard, and she turned to gaze at him with a slight smile. ["You are doing wonderful."]

Her words pleasant, he could only smile in response. He then offered his hand for her to take hold, which she accepted quite readily. It seems Lea has grown comfortable to Oliver's company after their brief journey together, especially when he was not touching her aplenty.

He led her to a corner where there were less prying eyes, and he blocked anyone's gaze from reaching Lea from where he stood. As he gazed on her, he felt he was already missing her. A very strange sensation, but nevertheless genuine.

Never bothering to let go of her soft hand, he played with her fingers by gently pressing each one as he wasted time. He knew there was not much time left, but he didn't know what to say. A moment of silence, he then opened his mouth at random, "It was last year that I met you, and it was last year my life started to change. Not just my life, but myself altogether." He begun, feeling unusually calm this time.

"Dear Lea... I wish I could always look out for you. Alas, I can only stay back. But I promise, the next we meet, a nation of equality and with high morals shall receive your welcome. For these people you and your friends tried to save, I shall provide them with a better future..." He was beginning to feel emotional at the thought of not being able to see her afterwards.

It was not hard for him to act cold to others, but he couldn't hide his vulnerability in front of the girl he cared for the most. Within him, a gush of melancholy flooded his chest, and he could barely carry out his next sentences.

Fortunately, before he forced himself to say more, Lea opened her mouth to say, "Your mother, and your siblings, treasure them." Her words simple, her smile affectionate. She wanted him to not only focus on his people, but to his family as well.

He was not intent on spending time with his family, but after his father was revoked as the Emperor, there were more chances for his mother to go out and explore. His siblings not much younger nor older than himself also begun to express themselves openly. Lea might indeed be right, he has his family to focus on as well. Filling up the lost moments of their family bonding could take time.

With a dutiful nod, Oliver smiled sweetly. He was always a sweet man to Lea. So doting and generous. She then returned his smile with equal affection. ["I am grateful to you too. May we meet again."]

Her tone stoic, Oliver felt a lump in his throat. Suddenly, he didn't want to let her go. But the other half of him knew she had greater plans in mind. And nothing could stop her from moving forward. With brief silence, came his wish.

On her soft lips, Oliver gently gave her a moment's kiss. It was only but a moment. However, it made Oliver feel relieved in his chest. "Pardon me..." He apologized right away as Lea was unresponsive, looking blank.