October 7 (Part 1)

The loud beeping from the alarm clock woke Camila just before six and she rolled over in the bed, out of Lauren's embrace and shut it off with a flat hand coming down on the top. Sitting up, Camila ran a hand through her hair and glanced over at Lauren who had curled into a tighter ball and fallen deeper asleep, as if the alarm had never gone off at all and Camila just shook her head and smiled down at her softly. 

The events from the night prior reeled in Camila's mind like a movie as she made her way around the kitchen, preparing coffee and fixing herself a bowl of cheerios. Lauren needed space and Camila granted her what she asked, making her way into Dinah, Ally, and Normani's apartment while Lauren headed into theirs. She spent a half hour crying and a half hour explaining to their friends everything that had happened and everything that had been said during the brief and unpleasant almost-dinner they had at Lauren's parents house and when Camila returned to her own apartment, Lauren was locked away in her studio, painting furiously on a canvas with her back turned towards the door that Camila knocked on cautiously before opening and popping her head inside, letting Lauren know she ordered pizza that would be arriving in twenty to thirty minutes. Nodding her head, Lauren said nothing as she returned to painting and Camila just sighed and closed the door as she retreated into the living room and pulled up netflix, choosing some indie flick she'd never heard of before. 

"Pizza's here," Camila called through the closed door of the studio before returning to her spot on the couch, joined by Lauren not even five minutes later. They ate in silence. They watched the movie in silence and about half way through the second movie, Lauren fell asleep with her head in Camila's lap and-

Snapped out of her daydream when she felt Lauren's arms snake around her waist as she stood and stared at the coffee dripping into the pot, Camila sighed and turned in Lauren's arms. "I'm sorry that I-"

"It's okay," Camila whispered, giving Lauren a half smile. "I know what your Mom said last night really hurt you and-"

"But I ran."

"You didn't run," Camila said shaking her head as she leaned in and pressed a kiss to Lauren's forehead. "You needed space, but you didn't run. There is a huge difference in those two things, baby. Do you want to talk about it?" She asked as she turned away from Lauren and pulled two mugs down from the cupboard, pouring them both a steaming cup. 

Lauren sighed, taking the cup Camila was now holding out to her as she slowly nodded her head. "I knew they were going to be mad, I'm not stupid enough to think they wouldn't have been. It's just, I didn't think they would be that mad, you know? Suggesting we get an annulment, like we are children who need other people making decisions for us. They weren't just mad, they were mean and it threw me off and then when my Mom said, when she- I live my life hoping that my Abuelita is out there and that she is proud of me and she knew saying that would hurt me and she said it anyways."

"She would be proud of you, you're an amazing woman," Camila breathed out as she tilted her head to get a better look at Lauren. She had slept, but her eyes were still tired and they were red rimmed from all the crying she had done and her hair was a mess and her face makeup free. "You're beautiful, you know that?" Camila asked and she licked slowly at her bottom lip. "You have a beautiful heart and soul and I know, even though I never got the privilege of meeting her, that she would be proud of who you are. Please don't let what your Mom said make you doubt that."

Lauren smiled sadly and nodded her head as brought her coffee to her lips and took a sip. "What they said last night, did it, did you think, the annulment did-"

"Absolutely not," Camila said seriously as she set her mug on the counter and stepped forwards, closing the gap between herself and Lauren. Camila took the mug Lauren was holding and set it down next to her own before fisting the sides of Lauren's shirt as she pulled their bodies flush against one another. "What we did, it was a little messed up," Camila laughed softly. "But I don't regret it, not at all. I don't regret you, Lauren. Not at all."