7. DaddyBats

"Recognized: Batman B-0."

The Dark Knight started walking towards the medical wing of the mountain as soon as the light from the Zeta tubes faded, his black cape fluttering behind him as he strided down the hall to the Medical wing.

Batman had been finishing up his daily patrol of Gotham early around 2 A.M. when he suddenly got a call on his communicator from Superboy. The Caped crusader had been somewhat annoyed, but also confused. Why was the boy still up so late? And what the hell would he be calling Batman for?

The Dark Knight answered the call and a unusually anxious looking Superboy popped up on the screen. He asked what the boy wanted in his usual emotionless, gruff tone. The Kryptonian told him that he had to get to the mountain straight away. Batman was a bit reluctant to go at first, but then Superboy mentioned that the emergency involved Robin. That's when he immediately shut the communicator off and quickly made his way to the batmobile. All shreds of reluctance gone.

Batman came to stand in front of the door of the infirmary before it slid open to reveal something that nearly made The Dark Knight panic. All members of the team were gathered around the medical bed in the middle of the medium-sized room, worried looks on their faces. Black Canary was standing next to the bed, her brows furrowed as she connected the heart moniter to the patient on the bed. Looks like he wasn't the only one that Superboy called.

The Bat shifted his gaze to the small figure on the bed, his eyes narrowing. There...on that bed...was his little bird.

The boy's eyes were closed, meaning that he was most likely unconcious. He had an oxygen mask over his mouth and many tubes and strange medical devices were connected to his body. Much too many for Bruce's liking. Seeing the boy connected to so much machinery was a bit unsettling and not to mention nerve wracking.

No one in the room was aware of his presence yet. Until M'gann turned around and let out a surprised yelp from being startled by the shadow of a bat. This drew the team and Canary's attention to the Dark Knight standing at the door.

A minute of silence passed. The only thing that could be heard in the room was the faint, steady beep of the heart monitor.

Then Batman spoke. "What's wrong with him?" His voice was as low and scary as always, but anyone who had known the man for a while could hear the slight tint of worry laced into his words. The Bat's eyes never strayed from the boy on the bed as he spoke.

Black Canary was of course the first to answer,"He isn't breathing properly."

"What do you mean?"

"He was struggling to breathe. Robin couldn't get any air into his lungs until I put the oxygen mask on."

"What was the cause of this?"

"We don't know."

"How can you not know?" The Caped Crusader growled impatiently, but Canary wouldn't have any of it. "Because we just don't know. There was nothing in the scans or anything that indicated something was making his breathing difficult." 

Batman shifted his gaze from the heroine back to his ward who was lying on the bed. He watched the small bird's chest rise and fall underneath the soft, white blanket as the oxygen mask fogged up when the boy exhaled.

"Batman. There's something else we need to worry about." Canary said worryingly, pulling the Dark Knight's attention back to her. "What?"

The blonde female stepped aside so that Batman could see the heart moniter. He felt his own heartbeat picking up rapidly in panic. Was the red line on the screen supposed to be that low?