είκοσι τέσσερα

I'm riding a horse, wearing a gold gown which is by far the best gown that I have and I also have a huge frown on my face as I watched dozens of Trojan soldiers tug long ropes to pull the massive horse across the grassy plain.

The horse now stands near the statue of Poseidon wielding his trident, beside his temple on one corner of the city square. Soldiers and citizens celebrate their great victory, drinking wine in the streets, waving torches and Trojan flags, singing songs.

Paris, Helen and I sit on the palace stairs, watching the crowd rejoice. "Look, it was as if their Prince didn't die" I said with a dry laugh.

"You two are the royal siblings. You are now their Prince" Helen said as we fell silent and turned to Paris before turning to me. "And you are now their Queen"

"I know you two will make Hector proud" Helen said and I smiled weakly. It was my first time hearing these words and it felt foreign since Helen is the one saying these things to us.

I watched as Helen rests her head on his shoulder. They sit quietly as the crowds sing in the street. I sighed and turned to the palace.

"I'm gonna go in and get some rest" I informed Paris. The both of them turned and Paris nodded at me.

"Briseis? Where are you heading to?" I asked my cousin as I bumped into her in the hallways.

"I'm gonna pray to the gods. Wanna come with me?"

I hesitated at first but ended up going with her. We entered the temple of Apollo quietly. I held my head down as we walked to the altar. I kneeled in front of the huge statue and closed my eyes.

I remember Achilles saying something about us being in love with Apollo. I wasn't in love with the sun God, Briseis is. Hector and I weren't fond of gods. We pray seldomly and being in this temple gives me an eerie feeling.

Instead of praying, I closed my eyes and thought of my love. I wonder what is he doing right now? Will he go back to Larissa? Will he go back to his mom? I stayed kneeled as I waited for Briseis to finish her prayer.

"Are you done, cousin?" She whispered and I nodded. We both walked out of the temple when we heard an explosion.

My heart raced as I pulled Briseis and hid her in the corner, shielding her with my body. "What is going on?" I whispered to myself as I peered at the door.

The city was on fire!

"Briseis, you have to run as fast as you can towards the palace and go to Paris. Tell him the palace is burning and then go find Andromache okay?" I said quickly. I raised the hem of my gown and took my dagger that's strapped on my thigh and gave it to her.

"If you see someone about to attack you. Don't hesitate to use this" I said. My innocent cousin had this panicked look on her face as I handed her the dagger.

"What about you?" She asked worriedly as I kissed her forehead and pushed her gently. "I'll be fine. Go!"

I watched her run towards the palace before running to go to Zeus' temple. I know my Father's there and I have to get him and bring him to Andromache before Agamemnon or one of the Spartans get to him.

I ran and ran until someone pulled my hair. I ducked as a soldier swung its sword to the place where my head was and punched the soldier's stomach.