Third Charm

The sight was horrific. How could anyone do something like that.
This was outright gruesome and scarring.

Noah's mouth hung in the air. He pinched himself. He hoped that this was a nightmare he was trapped in. He wished that he hadn't approached the police asking to help. He wished that he was in his cozy bed sleeping where he was safe from the now real horrors that have engulfed the island.

This time there was no masking. Everything was out in the open. These people were straight up killed with a knife.

The scene was near a farm just near a field of overripe crops. About 5 bodies were found. There lay the still bodies there eyes wide open and necks slit. They were killed in a very ruthless way. Famously known as the Columbian Necktie. The victims' necks were cut open and their tongue pulled out from their neck.

"Ugh, I think I'm going to vomit." Noah exclaimed.

"Police work isn't for the faint of heart,kid." John said.

Noah made a face. "Have some sympathy at least."

Noah looked around. The scene was getting more and more crowded. Masses of reporters started filing in and occupying the area reporting and making it clear to the world that this island is in fact being terrorized by a psychotic killer.

Noah started approaching the bodies. He inspected them trying to see if the killer left another message but nothing.

"No note,I guess." Noah said.

"Yeah. " Larn answered.

For the next hour or so, Noah was freezing as he waited in the police station for medical reports from the forensics department.

"Who do you think is doing all of this?" Larn asked.

"Don't you it's too early to be asking such questions?" Melanie asked drumming her fingers. She seemed extremely tense. She wouldn't even keep her legs still. (The noise of the constant drumming and tapping of the legs began to get annoying)

"Seriously Melanie, we have a body count 35 in one night! I think that by now we should have caught the killer already." John said.

"I think that it's some creepy teen who has no friends and probably wanted a change of routine so he/she started killing. After all, all the victims so far did go to RippleMount High." Larn suggested.

"I agree." Noah said. "I think we should at least narrow down our suspects to teens who attend RippleMount High."

"Then I nominate Noah as the killer." John joked.

"Hahaha. Funny. I believe I'm supposed to have an alibi. YOU are my alibi so.. I plead not guilty." Noah remarked.

"I checked the records of students and out of the 145 students about 35 have been killed, Noah has an alibi and eight students are currently out of the island and they even have instagram pictures to prove that so that leaves a 101 students as the suspects." Melanie said as she typed ferociously on a laptop.

"What about the reports from the lab?" Questioned John.

"Elle is bringing them."

"Who's Elle? Asked Noah.

As if on cue, a middle aged woman entered the room. She was dressed smart and had on a lab coat and in her hands she was holding a few files.

" I'm Elle. The forensic pathologist. " she spoke.

"Nice to meet you." Noah extended a hand which Elle didn't shake. (Rude,but oh well)

"I'm not here for small talk. Let's cut to the chase." She said to John.

"Yes,please enlighten us. What did the reports say?" John asked.

Elle stared at Noah as if she was waiting for him to leave.

"The kid is with us. He doesn't mean any harm." Larn said.

"I see. The police force has weakened so much that it needs help from lousy teens. What has become of this island?" She taunted.

(Noah hated it when people who were older than him thought that they were better than him. Like, okay fine, they may be more experienced than him, but that doesn't give them the right to treat him like he's a useless piece of trash.)

"Just go on with the report,Elle."

Elle sighed.

"The reports showed that the five teens were killed by a knife in a way called the Columbian Necktie."

"Ya. Blablabla. Tell me something I don't know." Larn said in a bored tone.

"The one body had holes that looked like marks you'd get by getting pricked by a needle. It had several of them. The marks were patterned to not have any meaning. So I looked into it and it turns out that the killer left a message in Braille."

"Clever." Was all John could say.

"What did it say?"

"It said this." Elle passed a paper around.

3 is a charm.

"That's it?"

"Expecting something more, kid?" Elle mocked.

Noah frowned.

"This just confirms our doubts completely. All the killings were done by this one person. The question that now remains is who?"

Ring ring.

The phone rang for the second time this night. It only meant bad news.

John slowly picked up the phone.

"Wha-(pause) Sorry, I didn't know it was you.(pause) okay, sir." John spoke nervously.

John slammed the phone.

"It was the Mayor. He's going to pay a visit to see what's going on and how far we are from cracking this case."

"If this was a seven book series,we'd be on the first line of  chapter one of the first book." Noah spoke.

"Maybe if you all got off your seats and started doing some research then maybe we might find the freaking killer." John rolled his eyes.

And so one by one,each of them left the room until only Noah was left. He was about to head out when he heard a voice that seemed vaguely familiar, but Noah couldn't pinpoint whose voice it was. It sounded like a woman,but he couldn't figure out who exactly.

She was speaking on the phone.

"I told you that no one has any idea that it was us. The reports are tempered with and any evidence that leads to you is erased from all the crime scenes and bodies."

Noah leaned over and gasped. He couldn't believe that it was her.

He couldn't believe that he found the killer.