38: Safir

Delilah screwed up her face. The sun was too low and too bright, like a needle stabbing straight into her skull.

Kaya, beside her, was trying to hide a smirk. "You're looking a little pale, Lieutenant Coppin."

"Shut up, Kaya." Delilah turned her back on the sun and watched Hawk strapping weapons over his leather armour. The men around him were doing the same, each movement laced with deadly precision.

Dante stood in front of his Captain of the Guard with his hands clasped behind his back, giving Hawk a few last-minute instructions. Delilah resisted the urge to scowl at him - of course he didn't have a hangover, not perfect King Dante. Had she imagined last night? He didn't even look tired, whereas her legs ached from their run.

Don't think about that. She sealed the memory firmly away and strolled up to Hawk, Kaya following.

Hawk's eyes flashed when he spotted them. "Come to give me a goodbye kiss?"

"Do you want one?" Kaya asked mischievously, twirling a strand of her hair around a finger.

Delilah just stared at Hawk stonily. "Get the Sky Opal back and strike fear into their hearts. Or else."

His lip curled. "You sound more like my king every day. I don't take orders from you, sweetheart."

My king. Not our king. Hawk was always reminding everyone of her Pelenan heritage.

"I'm right here, you know." Dante was bristling.

"I know." Hawk slid a knife into his boot.

"Is that the one I stole from you when we were kids?"

"Nah, I sharpened that one so much it's practically a stump. This is a similar design, though."

"Feeling sentimental?"

"No. I just like this style."

"Yeah, yeah, go on denying it," Kaya teased.

Hawk glared at her, but he and Dante clasped forearms for a moment. To Delilah's amazement, Dante briefly pressed his forehead against his friend's. Yet she'd often seen Dante treat Hawk like nothing more than a common guard... She wanted to ground her teeth. Why was this man so confusing?

"Come back." It was an order.

"I will. I've saved your arse too many times, Dante - I'm not going to miss any of the fighting this time round. You'll need me."

He pulled back, and Kaya darted forwards to peck him on the cheek. Delilah's eyes widened as he turned away from her and strode off without a word. He hadn't even protested.

Hawk and his men swung themselves into the saddles of the horses waiting for them. With one last nod in their direction, the horses took off down the trail, and Hawk's hair flew out behind him. The black-scaled servant of the Night Bringer was a formidable sight at the front of the horde.

"See? I told you," Kaya said, nudging Delilah. "He can't resist me."

Delilah made to turn and head back into the tunnel when one of the shadows behind her moved and breath caressed her ear.

"Councilman Peters has moved his chambers," Nell murmured. "The servants say he is terrified."

Delilah turned, while Kaya gave a yelp.

"How do you do that?" the Anloch demanded. "You appeared out of nowhere!"

"She is more shadow than human," Dante said, and they swivelled to look at him. He was watching them, thoughtful. "Remind me to consider you for future stealth missions, Sun Warrior."