42

A chilling silence fell over the space for the first time that night. But it was hard to tell what exactly stole the collective student bodies' breath—the fact that a popular was in trouble, or the fact that if she—St. Rosemunde's Homecoming Queen and all-around decent human being—could get in trouble, then anyone could.

No one was safe.

"So did you have anything to say before you're expelled?" Dr. Edsel said, his words as dry as his expression. Ms. Cowdry glared at him, but his expression didn't shift. Knowing the headmaster, he could be as serious as he was condescending. Miren's eyes briefly hit Cowdry's for some sense of salvation, but when the history teacher's gaze softened against her fiance's, Miren knew she was beyond fucked.

For the first time in Roger Edsel's life, he was serious.

"What do you want me to say?" Artemis replied in a low voice. However, it was hard to tell how affected she truly felt by this public revelation. After all, she was guilty of more than she cared to admit.

She knew sooner the later that the truth would come out—but that didn't make this new reality any easier to subscribe to. Her amber eyes, more defeated than annoyed, landed on the headmaster. "Shall I repeat my question or would you rather just have Rinzen security escort me out of here so we can end this shit show?"

"You're not going anywhere," Parker interjected, shaking his head. "You've made your point, Dr. Edsel. We're sorry about how we responded to Miren's tragedy. But Artemis is one of the least guilty on stage—she's the only one who has consistently fought for the truth. Her hands are completely clean."

"Is that so?" Edsel pushed. "I have an anonymous source confirming that she was responsible for releasing your...porno." His expression spoiled. "So prove us wrong, Miss El-Amin. Admit you didn't do it. Better yet, admit who helped you and the school board might show you some leniency."

"This is insane," Parker spat. Artemis just bit her lip. Not from nerves or anything—but in consideration. Technically, that was the only thing she was actually guilty of. But she couldn't see how admitting this would help the situation. "Tell him he's wrong, Artemis."

She parted her lips, but no words came out of her mouth.

"You know what they say—silence is the world's greatest confession." Edsel folded his arms, nudging in the direction of the gym's exit, where two fat bodyguards stood. "Please take Miss El-Amin to my office."

As the men approached the stage, Miren could feel her heart burst with each step. A million voices filled the air like a thick fog, but it was hard to hear them over her internal screaming.
Well, until there was silence.

She blinked around the space, confident her brain had self-destructed and had died. But then she realized everyone was staring at her. And that her mouth was open.

"I don't appreciate you telling us all to shut the hell up, Mr. Ellison," Headmistress Castro spoke. "Try addressing your statements in a well-mannered way, otherwise I'll be forced to suggest disciplinary action." Miren rolled her eyes, but it was a front at best. She was terrified before, how she was the center of unwanted attention.

"Very well," she began slowly, trying to prevent her voice from shaking, "What I meant to say, was that Artemis isn't guilty of anything." The girl in drag sucked in a breath, bracing herself for the life-shattering blow she was about to administer. "I am."

A severe silence fell over the space again—only this time it didn't entirely feel toxic.

It's because they don't believe me, she decided, turning her attention to the headmasters. Naturally, she could feel Jeno's eyes piercing her form, could practically hear him yelling every obscenity in the book, demanding her to step down before he had to come over there and take her down. But she knew he wouldn't do the latter—he couldn't do the latter. Not in front of the school.

Not in front of Olivia "I'll Literally Kill For the Truth" Vishna.

"I was responsible for the sex tape—I also played the main role in the releasing Miren's video at the musical. I also hacked into Soren's computer to make sure the IP addresses matched. I put the hospital footage on the documentary." Miren's hands clenched into fists. "I admit to anything and everything you have against us. I just wanted to get justice for Miren."

"As much as I appreciate you coming clean," Dr. Edsel began. "I don't even sort of believe you."

"And why is that?" Miren's eyes narrowed. "I'm the only black person up here other than Olive. Hell, we're practically the only people of color in this gym. Maybe it's that simple—maybe I just wanted to make sure that Miren didn't die in vain." A staring match between her and the headmaster went on for far too long. But when the man blinked, Miren knew she won. Sort of.

"Alright," he finally agreed. "Confirm all of this on paper and you will be expelled promptly. However, I have one final question to ask." Edsel's eyes were toying and Miren knew this wasn't a good sign. "Don't worry, the real culprit would know the answer, so wipe that confused look off your face."

"If you mean annoyed look, then you'll have to get on with it." Her heart was as heavy as her throat was dry. He was testing her - teasing her - but she knew the slightest look of insecurity would not bode well for her. She gritted her teeth. I'm good at tests—hell, I'm exceptional at tests. Just answer his question and come clean.

Just come clean.

Dr. Edsel was grinning as he too, spoke life-shattering words.

"Why did you attack Miss El-Amin at homecoming?"