six | dan

Dan hated not going to school, especially at the start of the year. But if he wanted his hearing aids by January it was absolutely mandatory he get checked out today. It killed him that he couldn't hear what the doctor and his mum were talking about. She nodded a lot and gave Dan concerning looks, like he was kicked puppy of something. Then the doctor nodded and was out of the room. He asked what the doctor said but she didn't tell him. She mouthed words to him that looked like she was supposed to say 'at home.' He nodded picking at the paper on the check up table. The doctor came back not minutes later with a clip board in hand. He saw Dan's mother and immediately put on what he would call a flirtatious smile. He leaned in to close for comfort towards Dan's mother, actually having to make her back up. Dan got a little angry. She was here with her son who had to get a check up to make him hear again and he fucking flirting? It made no sense. Not to mention she had to be at least ten years older then him. She smiled said something to him before motioning Dan it was time to go. He thought they were going to another room for a check up or something but they just left. It confused Dan. They couldn't have been there for more then twenty minutes, why were they leaving? Once they got in the car Dan have his mum a questioning look. She again mouthed 'at home' then proceeded to back out with parking lot. Dan sighed and leaned back in his seat.

His father or brother weren't home. So it was only him and his mom at the projector, which was fine. He preferred his mom anyway. His mom handed him the keyboard and he began to type.

Why was the visit so short?

It was only a check-up to make sure it was okay to operate on you next year

That's it then i can go to school tomorrow

Yeah it fine Dan

It wasn't fine though, not now anyway. It would be when he got his hearing back.
______________________________________

Dan remembers the day he lost his hearing very well. He had to be about thirteen at the time. He wasn't a very popular of in his school, he was the weird kid that wore black jeans and painted his nails. The kids were always little shits but he had a few friends. He can't remember their names, all he can recall is a vague memory of potato chips and Pokemon. He does remember Chris and Peej though. How can he not? The kids always threw things at him and poked him with pencils. But one day these two boys went to far. Jack and Nate, they were two bullies that everyone thought was cool just because they got into trouble a lot. He remembers sitting on the bench during games lessons (he "injured" his foot that weekend on a family outing) and they both sat down at either side of him. He hadn't noticed since he was so into his book but they had. Then he felt something pierce both his ears. Those little fuckers had stuck pencils in his ears. It was painful, he could hear himself scream and he wriggled around trying to get out of the grasp they had him in. He saw the teacher and kids run toward them. The teacher shoved the kids off, shouting at them while trying to get his walkie out. He asked Dan a question and he couldn't hear him. Dan remembers shouting at him that he couldn't hear, he came to the horrible realization that he wouldn't be able to hear again, not for a long time.

The two boys got expelled from school for three years, Dan's seventeen now so they should be in school right now but they moved away. So how could he know really? After that he lost most of his friends. Except Chris and Peej. They stayed with him up until Peej moved to a different honors school two cities away. Then Chris moved to America and everything went to hell. It was the first time being deaf actually sunk into him. The feeling he would forever be alone because of a disability he couldn't help. He felt depressed. He still does. But of course, maybe he had something to smile about now. He'll see Phil again tomorrow.