Part 60

I laid with my head on his chest, the sheets just barely draped over our bare bodies as we relished in the feeling we so easily brought each other.

I intertwined my fingers with his as I brought his hand up to where my head laid, leaving soft kisses on his scarred knuckles.

"Daryl?" I breathed, swallowing harshly, my mouth dry as one specific sentence played over and over again in my mind.

"Mhm?" He mumbled, his breathing slow as his thumb drew uneven circles on my skin.

"I think I'm in love with you." I said quietly before I held my breath, feeling all movement from him come to a halt as the words left my lips.

"Don't." He finally murmured, his voice raspy as he shifted under me, pushing himself out of bed and beginning to pull on his clothes that were left scattered on the ground.

"What?" I asked, sitting up, my heart sinking as confusion washed over me from his response, "Why?"

"This world ain't meant for that.." He let out, refusing to make eye contact with me as he shook his head slightly, "not anymore--"

"Then you don't have to say it back, Daryl.. because I already know you do-- I know you care about me." I cut him off, my voice soft, "If you didn't, you wouldn't have looked for me after I left.. you wouldn't have saved me all those times and you wouldn't hold me the way you do.." I continued, "I know you do because I'm still here."

We both stayed silent as the words I spoke drifted around the room, "I meant what I said, Daryl.. and I'm not taking it back."

Just then, the quiet air between us quickly changed as a knock on the door caught both of us off guard.

"Daryl, Liz, you in there?" Rick's familiar voice questioned.

"Yeah, hold up." Daryl answered back, handing me my clothes off the floor before I hurriedly slipped them on.

"Ya good?" He asked quietly as he pulled his shirt down his torso before I nodded, now fully dressed as I stayed seated on the bed.

He pulled open the door as Rick stood on the other side, his glance going from Daryl to me as he tried to hide the suspicious look that grew on his face, "Hope I'm not interrupting anything, just thought it'd be a good time to go over what happened today-- on the run."

Daryl glanced back at me before nodding, "Yeah, it's a good time."

***

I sat out on the porch, getting some fresh air and clearing my mind, as the small meeting Rick had called began finishing up inside.

"There you are," Rosita joked, coming outside and leaning her back up against the railing, "I told you you'd be surprised by what's left out here."

I let out a light chuckled, shaking my head, "I just didn't think it could get any worse than what I'd already seen--"

Just then the door opened again, Abraham appearing out of it, "Oh hey there, darling," he said as he closed the door behind him, "Sorry you had to deal with some of those pricks as well-- I hoped Daryl had got them all on the road the other day, guess there were a few shit starters leftover."

I shook my head, laughing at his choice of words, "I just hope we won't have to deal with them again."

"Well, that's the plan," he nodded, taking a drink from his water bottle, "I gotta head back, though, I have first shift tomorrow-- you coming?" He asked, looking over to Rosita.

"Yeah, in a bit," Rosita nodded, "Just gonna stay out a little longer."

Abraham nodded back, "Well, try not to cause too much trouble." He joked at us before kissing her and heading back to their house.

"Did you and Abraham know each other before?" I asked, liking the two of them together.

She shook her head, "We met after-- after everything started."

I nodded slowly before looking back to her, "Do you ever worry that it's like, not worth it or something? I mean, getting that close to someone when everything's the way it is."

She cocked her head at me, a confused look on her face, "Why?"

I shrugged, "Just curious."

"Is- is there really something going on between you and Daryl?" She asked, catching me off guard, "After what happened earlier with Spencer, he said some stuff but, I learned a long time ago that it's better to get things straight from the source-- even now."

I sighed, looking into the faintly lit, nighttime air, "I told him I loved him today."

"Ok, wait," she shook her head, a shocked expression on her face, "You told him you- ok, so there actually is something between you two?"

I nodded my head slowly before shrugging, "I mean, I think--"

"You think?" She laughed, cutting me off, "Ok I've seen the way you both look at each other, I just- I don't know, I didn't think it would ever happen."

I let out a small laugh, "Yeah, I didn't either-- not when we first met anyway."

As the air between us went silent, I looked up a Rosita, seeing a small smile on her face, "Do you really love him?"

I gave her a small nod, my voice quiet as the thought of him rolled through my mind, an uncontrollably smile coming onto my face, "I've never felt this way about someone."

_____
Sorry this chapter is so late! The past couple months has been pretty busy for me and I end up being so tired at the end of the night that I don't have any energy to come up with new chapters, but I'm trying my best!

For those who may be wondering why Daryl doesn't say that he loves Liz, throughout this series and For The Ones I Love, it has to do with his abandonment issues-- that's all I'll say for now.

Let me know what you think and feel free to ask any questions!