Chapter Four

"Ashton," my grandmother said as I grabbed my backpack. I spun around to look at her, giving her my full attention. "Do you have work today?"

"Today?" I asked. "I think so."

"Alright," she replied. "Just making sure."

"Okey doke," I smiled. "I'll see you later today, yeah?"

"Yep, be careful." my grandmother said.

"I always am." I replied, opening the door. As I shut it behind me, I broke off into a little jog because I was running a little late this morning. I didn't mean to over sleep, but it sure felt better than waking up before 6:00. I've slept better for the past couple of days, even if Brooke wasn't with me. I guess that's good, since its apparent that Brooke and I won't be able to spend like, every moment with each other. Even though I love her, it's not like we live with each other.

Ever since I finally realized how I felt about Brooke, it's been hard to physically think about. Being in love feels... different... but amazing at the same time. Yet, I don't know how to say it. How does one even say that they're in love with another? Do I just say 'hey Brooke. I'm in love with you, but at the same time I'm still terrified that one day you'll hate me.'

I don't know why I still think that... and though I don't think about it much, there's still a glimmer of fear in my heart that Brooke will hate me one day. Just like 90% of the people I know, she'll hate me. But that doesn't make any sense! She's said it before, that she'll never leave me, as I did as well. And I won't leave her, ever. I've made up my mind that I'm in love with her, yet I'm too scared to show it.

As I got to my car and started off towards hell, I thought about that concept more and more, until my head began to hurt.

*Brooke's POV*

As my mother drove me to school that morning, I was completely silent. I sat back, my eyes blankly staring out the window infront of me, not saying a word. I was filled with a lot of emotions all at once, but I could only focus on the utter confusion that possesed me.

What the hell was that last night? That was probably the oddest dream I've ever had. It seemed so real... all the edginess I felt and the voices I heard besides my own all seemed so fucking real. What did they mean by what they said? Ashton could never hate me... right? We've both said before, we're never going to leave each other. I... I can't leave him. And he can't leave me. So whatever it was that I heard and felt while surprisingly unconscious... it must've been just a freak thing. Yeah, it was fake.

"Brooke." I heard my mother's voice beside me. I looked over to her, and she was staring at me.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"Have a good day." She nodded towards the window, and I looked out to see we were already outside Palo Verde. I guess I didn't even realize, my mind was so clouded.

"Thanks." I said quietly, not bothering to look at her again. I opened the door, and made no hesitation to hop out, and throw my bag over my shoulder.

"Love you," my mother said from the drivers seat. I spun around to look at her, my eyes widening. My heart stopped for a few moments as I stared at her, as she furrowed her eyebrows at me. I finally blinked, confused by my random burst of panic. I guess it's because the word 'love' reminds me of Ashton.

"Okay." I squeaked, turning around so my mom didn't have to see me cringe at my awkwardness. I sped up my steps, until I bursted into the courtyard, my eyes instantly scanning the area for Ashton. I didn't see him at first, and my heart began to pound.

What the hell. I thought to myself. He's obviously not here yet. Calm the fuck down.

I agreed with myself, and I took a deep breath. I began to walk through at a small pace, keeping my head down. And then, once again, that fucking feeling came over me. I looked around the area, and I began to make my pace even slower, until I stopped. I stood there, my eyes darting around. My fingers fidgetted with one another, and I felt nervous.