Epilogue

"Jules. Baby, wake up."

I snuggled deeper into the pillows, mumbling something incoherent as to why he was still calling me that. We had started using the pet name as a joke, but it had stuck and was now becoming a regular thing. I was still not sure how to feel about that.

A quiet laugh, a hand caressing my cheek, then: "I'm going to the store to buy ice cream." I knew what it was; an invitation, but also an offer to stay in bed.

I opened my eyes wide enough to look at the glowing digits of the alarm clock in the darkness. "At... four in the morning?" I asked, even though it really wasn't anything out of the ordinary by now.

I had known that Hunter's sleeping pattern was a mess even before we had moved in together. Still, experiencing it live and in color was an entirely different thing.

He never, without fail, went to bed before one, and often times got up in the middle of the night. A few months ago, he had used to go street racing then, but he had promised to refrain from it after I had begged him to. I already had enough to be anxious about without having to worry about my boyfriend getting into a car crash.

So, lacking anything else to do at night, he went out to do all kinds of random things until he was tired enough to actually sleep. In the beginning, he hadn't wanted to wake me up and had just snuck out, but after I had woken up to the bed empty a couple times, I had asked him to talk to me before he left.

"Mhm," Hunter muttered. "Do you want to come?"

I could hear the smile in his voice, so I turned my head a little to look at him. It took a while for my eyes to adjust to the darkness, but eventually I could make out his features. He was watching me, propped up on one elbow, cradling his chin in his hand while his other arm was still draped across my waist.

"Give me a second. I'm not really awake yet," I mumbled and reached blindly for his hand on my hip.

Hunter hummed approvingly and pulled me closer against his chest.

I could've easily dozed off again like this, if it hadn't been for his lips suddenly kissing over my bare shoulder. "Is this your way of persuading me to come with you?"

"This is my way of showing my boyfriend some love and affection," he answered. The he added: "So, what do you think? Are you coming or not?"

Instead of answering, I sighed and sat up on the bed, feet dangling over the edge. Hunter turned the bedside lamp on so I could see where I was going and didn't run into the wall when I rounded the bed.

There were clothes scattered all over the floor, so I just grabbed sweatpants and a hoodie. I was pretty sure they were Hunter's, but it didn't matter anymore. All of our clothes had gotten mixed up by now. I always bought my shirts a size or two too large, so they fit Hunter perfectly, and Hunter's size was a little too big for me, which I liked.

When I was done dressing, I turned around to see Hunter just pulling a shirt over his head, hair a mess but otherwise looking wide awake.

It shouldn't be allowed to look that attractive in the dead of night.

"Do you know where my keys are?" he asked.

"Your right pocket," I answered without having to look.

Hunter flashed me a grin as he fished them out of his jeans. Then he walked up to me, clasped my hand tightly and pulled me out into the dimly-lit corridor.

Seconds later, we locked the door to our apartment and started the descent to the ground-floor.

Our apartment.