Amnesia

Cory's POV

I gasped in my first breath of air, choking.

It burned in my throat, rasping in my windpipe with a hollow clunking sound. I coughed, grasping my neck with both hands. I tried to sit up, but was pushed back down by two strong arms. I couldn't hear anything. It was all muffled by a soft ringing in my ears.

My vision cleared a tiny bit, and I saw the stone ceiling of a cave high above me. Rippling light reflected on the walls, making beautiful, aqua blue patterns shine in my eye.

I blinked. Something else came into focus above me. A face.

It was glowing blue and black in the dim light. It was a familiar face, but I couldn't quite place it. Their mouth was moving, but I couldn't hear what they was saying. It was still just a blank fuzz. They stopped talking, and reached up to touch something in my left ear. I let him fiddle with it, not fighting against him. Then there was a small 'click'.

The fuzz gently faded to a slight throbbing, and I could hear water rushing somewhere nearby, as well as heavy, mechanical breathing. As I listened, I realized that it was my own. The person above me spoke again, and this time I could hear him.

"Hello Cory," he said, loudly. "Can you hear me now?"

I nodded in confusion. Who's Cory?

The boy above me sighed in relief. He looked elated, like he had just done something incredible. I opened my mouth, moving my jaw around as I got used to how it felt. The boy spoke again. "My name is Dawn. I want you to try to move your arm so I can grab it. I need to see if it worked."

Even though I was confused, I forced my arm up, looking at it. I hissed through my teeth in surprise. The bicep of my bare arm seemed normal enough, except for some thin stitches going down the length of it, up until my wrist. My hand was made of shiny silver metal and glowing red lines ran through it, pulsing with energy. I opened and closed my metal fist, testing it out.

It felt... strange. To say the least.

I looked up at Dawn, or whatever his name was, and extended my hand to him. Dawn grabbed my fist and squeezed it. I felt the smooth contours of his palm, marked with the same nuts and bolts that mine was. I felt like I should be confused by all this, but I just.... Couldn't remember what I was supposed to be confused about.

Dawn nodded in satisfaction and let go of my hand. He then reached behind my head and supported it, holding me upright, and helping me sit up. I obliged willingly. As the blanket fell off my body, I saw that I was wearing a thin, white tank top. The neckline was low, exposing my chest. A glowing, mechanical, red heart pulsing with light was embedded inside a cavity over my ribcage.

I looked up at Dawn, who I saw was wearing a black jacket with two neon blue spots on it, vertical to each other, and also had what looked like black headphones on. This was getting too confusing. My head was starting to swim from all the deja vu that I was feeling.

"What is this place? Who am I?" Rasped a voice that wasn't mine. I growled in discomfort. I could feel my lips moving, but the sound that emanated from my own throat was mechanical, harsh, unrecognizable.

Dawn looked at me in pity. "Oh, sorry about your voice. I promise I'll fix that later." He grabbed a rag and started wiping his metal hands, rubbing off the grime. "And this place?" He gestured to the cave walls around him, "This is my home. I found you here a couple days ago, and I decided to fix you up."

I reached up and felt the heart embedded in my chest. Then I looked back at my hands. "S-so... I was broken?" I stutted. I felt like a five year old asking my parent why the sky was blue. I hated this feeling. This... cluelessness.