Prologue: Lost Cub

A little cub only two weeks old opens her eyes for the first time

A little cub only two weeks old opens her eyes for the first time. Her mother abandoned her recently due to the lack of food as a rogue lioness. She was barely getting enough to feed herself, let alone her cub. But she left her cub in the pride lands knowing she'd be found and taken good care of.

"Mew mew" the cub calls for her mother very hungry. Zira hears this and heads towards the sound. She sees the cubs and goes to kill it, but someone stops her.

"Zira want are you doing? Have you found something?" Sarabi asks. She had come to check on Zira to see how her patrol was going. Sarabi had just given birth three weeks ago to her son Simba. So she had to get back to him soon.

"I heard something" Zira tells her calmly. "I was just about to investigate" she assures Sarabi.

"Mew mew" Sarabi hears and runs to the sound to see the hungry cub.

"Oh you poor thing, where's your mother?" Sarabi asks as she licks it's head reassuringly. The cub immediately goes to Sarabi's stomach wanting a feed. "You must be starving, don't worry I'll look after you" Sarabi promises as the cub takes a drink.

"Are you sure this is wise? We know nothing about this cub or it's parents" Zira asks.

"Zira she is just a cub in need of a home and family" Sarabi states sternly. "Speaking of that, I need to get back to Simba" she says. "Finish your patrol, I'll be leaving now with Aurora" she says picking up the sleepy cub.

She reaches Pride rock soon and Mufasa greets her with a head rub. "Simba's hungry and whose this?" he asks. Sarabi didn't answer straight away just entered the den. She goes to where she and Mufasa usually sleep where Simba is whining for food. She lays placing the cub in front of her and starts to groom her while Simba eats.

"This is Aurora, Zira and I found her on the edge of the pride lands. Poor thing was abandoned" Sarabi explains as she stopped grooming the cub. "Can she stay?" she asks Mufasa.

"Of course she can, I've always wanted a son and daughter" Mufasa says smiling. Just then Sarafina enters the den carrying her cub Nala. "I'll leave you girls to it" Mufasa states and leaves the den.

"Hey Sarabi, where did you go?" Sarafina asks as she lays beside Sarabi putting Nala down. "Whose that?" she asks looking at the sleeping cub in front of her best friend.

"I went to check on Zira, it's her first patrol alone and I wanted to make sure she was following the rules. This little one is Aurora, Zira and I found her abandoned at our border. Mufasa and I just adopted her" Sarabi explains.

"That's amazing, I'm happy for you" Sarafina says smiling. "She is one lucky cub, that you found her" she states. "Now Nala can grow up like we did with a girl to play with" she says.

"All three of them can grow up together along with Tama" Sarabi assures her.

"Poor Simba is out numbered" Sarafina says giggling.

"I'm sure he'll be fine" Sarabi assures her best friend. "Look at them" she says looking between them as the three sleeping cubs.

"I think they have a bright future ahead of them, especially Aurora now that she has a pride" Sarafina states. "Do you know why she was abandoned?" she asks.

"Her mother was probably a rogue lioness who had trouble getting enough food to support them both. If the mother had stayed with the cub, both would have been welcomed into the pride. But it was only her, so she is the lucky one" Sarabi says smiling.

"Mary should be here soon with Tama, then we can all catch up" Sarafina states.

"Then I can tell her about Aurora and all the cubs can met" Sarabi says smiling. Mary soon arrived carrying a sleeping Tama. She lays down in front of the other two placing Tama next to Nala. Sarabi explains Aurora's situation and then all lionesses take a nap while waiting for the hunting party to return.

A/N

Picture above of where Aurora was found. Picture on the external link of young adult Zira. Picture in chapter of Aurora.