Chapter 16

Amina's POV
Bright lights had me slamming my eyes shut. I obviously wasn't outside judging by the temperature of the room and the soft mattress beneath me.
Wait mattress? Where am I?
The last thing I remembered was pain and the feel of dried leaves beneath me.
I felt something stuck in my hand, it was uncomfortable so I made a move to take it out but a rough hand on mine stopped my actions.
"Stop, don't pull that out, you need that."
The deep masculine voice had my eyes flying open and my body lifting itself up into a sitting position, fully prepared to bolt at the slightest sign of danger.
My eyes quickly went to the figure standing next to the bed.
He was a big man, but not as big as Titus. He had curly brown almost black hair and kind, brown eyes.
The longer I looked at him I felt a sense of familiarity creep up my spine. He looked familiar but I knew that I'd never seen him before. I'd come across a lot of men in Alpha Tony's pack but I didn't sense anything about him that said he meant me any harm, but from experience I knew that my senses weren't the best and that I couldn't trust him no matter what I sensed.
"I'm Ryan, one of my warriors found you in the woods in my territory."
I looked at him warily. I felt the alpha power coming off him in waves and I wondered why he hadn't killed me yet, I was now a rogue and I knew that most rouges were killed on sight if they were caught on pack territory.
"Why haven't you killed me?"
I knew better than to talk out of turn but due to the dull ache that radiated from my chest and the numbness that overtook me, I couldn't bring myself to care about the consequences at the moment.
He smirked.
"You're hardly a threat to anyone."
I probably should have taken offense to his words but I knew they were true, I wasn't capable of hurting anyone.
I cast my eyes down looking at the small cuts that were almost healed. I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion. How am I almost healed? How long have I been here?
"H-how long have I been here?"
"About a week and a half."
My eyes widened in shock. A week why had I been out for so long?
I felt tears prick my eyes as I thought of my mate. He must be furious that I ran off but I could never and would never be able to cope with the fact that through all the sweet endearments and his admission of love to me, he had a fiancée, someone that I was sure he was telling the same things to.
You have to forget about him, he doesn't love you. He has a fiancée that he loves.
"You haven't healed completely, why?"
I jumped, startled at the voice. I had forgotten that I wasn't alone.
I shrugged in answer to his question. I knew I didn't heal quickly because being injected with silver would do that to you.
"You don't know?"
I shook my head.
"Well then answer me this, why were you in the woods alone?"
I looked away. I didn't want him or anyone else to know that my mate didn't want me. So I lied.
"I-I went for a walk and I got lost."
"You're lying. You should know better than to lie to an alpha. Look at me."
I kept my eyes everywhere but on him.
"That was an order, look at me." He growled.
My eyes quickly snapped to his in fear.
"What pack are you from, I'm calling your alpha."
I didn't dare tell him that I was technically a part of the Royal pack because I didn't want Titus to find out where I was.
"The Evermoon pack."
He looked perplexed at my words.
"Tony's pack?"
I nodded.
"The king issued a hunt for him, do you know where he is?"
I shook my head. I didn't care where he was as long as he was far away from me.
"Lying about his whereabouts is punishable by death, so if you're lying I suggest you tell the truth now."
"I don't know where his is." I squeaked out.
Before he could respond the door burst open and a gorgeous woman walked in.
"Ryan why didn't you tell me she was awake, the poor girl must be terrified."
She walked up to the bed and gave me a kind smile. She had flawless chocolate skin and her dark hair was pulled back in a sleek ponytail.
A man walked in followed by two boys who were obviously twins. The man walked over to the woman and placed an arm around her waist.
"Son stop interrogating her."
"Yeah bro, get the stick out of your ass for once."
I looked at the group of people that were obviously a family. The man and his sons were alike in build a facial structure only. While the three boys had inherited their mother's dark hair instead of their fathers blonde, only the twins as inherited their fathers green eyes and by the looks of it they also gained his affinity for tattoos. All four of the men had the same large, muscular build
Once again that sense of familiarity swept over me. Did I know these people?
**
Titus' POV
I growled in frustration and threw a lamp across the room causing the other men in the room to flinch.
I had woken up after being unconscious for almost two weeks and I didn't have the slightest idea of where my mate had run off to, it had been six days and I hadn't had any success.
"I want all of you to go on another hunt for her, if you find her let me know immediately, lay a hand on her and I'll kill you."
A chorus of 'yes alpha' flowed through the room and the men, excluding my beta left the room.
I rubbed my hands over my face and sighed in frustration.
"Any response to from anyone about seeing her , it's been six days?"
"There is a woman from the Dawn pack that claims to be your mate."
I perked up at that.
"Do you think it's her?"
Michael looked at me with a serious look on his face.
"Do you think that after all of that that she would just come back?"
I looked down at my desk. He was right I felt her heart breaking when when those words came from my mother's mouth.
"You're right but I'm still heading to the Dawn pack tomorrow, just to make sure. I can't risk it ."
"I'll get everything together."
He turned to leave.
"Wait."
He turned back to face me.
"Before you do that answer me this. Do you think she wants to come back here to me? Do you think she wants to be queen?"
"I think she needs time, she's been through a lot but you do need to clean up this particular mess as fast as possible but we need to get her back first As for being queen I don't think anyone is truly ever ready for that kind of thing."
"Should I even bother trying to get her back?"
He looked thoughtful for a moment.
"I know what it feels like to be apart from your mate. You remember all the times Avery ran off when I first found her?"
I nodded, if I remembered correctly she had run off four or five times before Michael locked her in their bedroom.
"Well every time she ran it felt like a piece of me was missing, there was a constant ache in my chest and I felt like half a man. I felt empty I couldn't function during the day, couldn't sleep at night. I was only a shell I did my beta duties and I locked myself in my room and no matter how much you and everyone els tried to cheer me up, nothing made me feel any different until she came back to me. So to answer you, unless you can live like that for the rest of your life and you can live with the fact that she will feel the same way, you need to bring her back you two need each other."
I sighed deeply.
"You're right but until I find her I want every claim and every report of a sighting as soon as you get it."
"Alright boss."
He turned to leave and I went back to looking at the map on my desk, trying to see what areas haven't been searched in the last few days since I woke up.
"Oh and Titus?"
"Yeah man?"
"We'll find her."
I gave a nod of approval at my beta and best friend.
"I hope so."
**
~the next day~
I slipped on my suit jacket and looked at myself  in the mirror I had placed on the wall for Amina.
I was going to meet the woman that claimed to be my mate today and I had to go with the full king wardrobe, replacing the robes with the deep purple sash with the royal seal embroidered on it. I went into the safe located in my side of the walk in closet and removed the box the king and queens crowns were left in when they weren't needed. I brought it over to the counter that sat in the center of the closet and opened the lid. The two gold crowns sat next to each other, resting on a deep red velvet cushion. I picked up my crown and placed it on my head.
With shaking hands I picked up the smaller crown, the one meant for my mate.  I ran my fingers gently over the intricate designs that made up the crown. My heart ached at the fact that my mate wasn't with me, wearing this like she should have. It ached at the fact that this woman that claimed to be my mate might not be her.
I sighed deeply and gently pressed my lips to the delicate gold band and placed it back into the box and closed the lid.
"One day Amina, you'll wear this, I promise."
I placed the box back into the safe and made my way down where my men were waiting for me. Michael was giving last minute orders to the warriors coming along with us. He was dressed similar to me with a sash with the royal seal and a symbol that signified his rank as the royal beta. My interest was peaked when I saw a black binder in his hands with a pink bedazzled 'A' on the front.
"Avery isn't coming?"
Even though she was the beta female, she was very organized and created and took on the role as a kind of assistant for me and Michael.
Michael looked up at me, looking somewhat embarrassed to be carrying around such a girly object.
"No, she's been sick the last few days so I'm making her stay home to rest. I didn't think anyone would appreciate her throwing up in the car so I left Elaine to look over the house and Avery while we're gone."
"Okay good, I put Grey in charge while we're gone and I just asked her guards to stay behind with her so she'll be well looked after."
"Thanks, I appreciate it."
"No problem."
I motioned for the men to start getting into the motorcade that was used mostly for formalities. Me and Michael were seated in the limo located in the middle of the motorcade and completely surrounded on all sides and the flags of the kingdom flapped in the wind as we took off.
"Do you have the name of the girl?"
I directed my question at Michael who shook his head in response and looked down at Avery's notes and began to read off of them.
"No, Avery contacted the alpha and he had no idea that someone had made any such claim but he did say that two females came into his territory but they were locked in the prisons immediately so there was no way for them to make any claims."
I raised my eyebrow.
"Avery is very thorough isn't she?"
He only smiled, pride shining in his eyes.
"That's my girl."
I turned my head to look at the trees as we passed them.
"Oh and one more thing."
I turned back to him.
"Avery just informed me that she didn't tell the Alpha that we were coming today, they're expecting us next week, she figured that if it was a lie they wouldn't have time to formulate a plan of some sort."
I almost laughed aloud.
"She is something else, smart though."
Once again he smiled and pride shown through his eyes.
"That's my girl."
'Hey Avery.'
'Yes Alpha?' She said in a teasing tone.
'Thank you, your plan was a very good idea.'
'Anytime Titus, I want her back just as much as you do.'
'You will be rewarded greatly.'
'No need, just bring my Luna back.'
I found myself fighting back a smile, even though she'd only been here a year, she was extremely loyal to me and her pack. I would make sure to do something extra for her and Michael once things calmed down.
**
We had been driving for about an hour when the scenery changed and the paved road turned into hard packed dirt. I saw large wolves running alongside the cars through the trees.
Family sized houses were neatly placed throughout the territory and everything was clean. Good, I didn't want to have to hunt down another alpha that didn't treat his pack correctly.
We finally pulled up at the pack house where a man and woman, the alpha and Luna I sensed, were standing on the porch holding hands as they waited to greet me.
Once we stopped a warrior came over to open the door and Michael exited the car before me as custom demanded.
When I was out the alpha and Luna bowed as a show of respect to me and my beta.
"Your highness, to what do we owe this visit?"
"Good morning Alpha Thomas, Luna Ariel. As you know my mate managed to escape my territory and there is a woman here who claims to be my mate and I was also informed that two female rogues entered your territory recently. I'd like to meet all of them to see if any of them are actually my mate."
Luna Ariel looked at me with tears in her eyes. She looked at me as if she were looking at her own son. She was about my mother's age and she appeared to be a good woman.
"Oh goodness honey why don't you all come in and have some refreshments Thomas here will call everyone to the meeting hall and bring up those two girls."
She shooed her husband off and ushered me and Michael into the house.
"I'll have someone tend to your men, you all must be tired from that long drive. Please have a seat."
While I appreciated her kindness, I wanted to hurry this up. I knew I was probably setting myself up to be disappointed but I needed to know if my mate was here even though I couldn't sense her, but that was probably because our bond was broken.
Almost as if she could sense my anxiousness, Luna Ariel and laid an gentle hand on my shoulder. We both knew she wasn't supposed to touch me without permission, but the motherly vibe I got from her overpowered any sense of propriety that I would have with anyone else.
"You'll find her, mates are meant to be together  in the end, it's the promise the Moon Goddess made to the first werewolves and we know that she is not one to break promises."
Her words gave me hope but I had a feeling that hope would be short lived.
I watched her as she maneuvered around the kitchen and something about her woke up something in the back of my mind, a faint memory but I couldn't quite figure out what it was. She looked familiar but I knew that I had only met her once before, at my coronation ceremony when all of the alphas and Lunas introduced themselves and pledged their allegiance to me, but this feeling seemed farther in the past, before I became king. 
I continued to stare at her even as she walked over and sat two cups of coffee down in front of us.
"You boys drink up you two look as if you haven't slept in weeks."
We both did as she said and took long drinks from our cups even though alcohol didn't have any effect on wolves caffeine did and it was much needed as I hadn't slept since I woke up. I couldn't without my mate even though we never slept in the same bed, I would always sneak in when she fell asleep and sleep on the couch next to the bed and left before she woke up.
Alpha Thomas walked in nodded in our general direction and went to his wife. While they whispered quietly amongst themselves I noticed something odd about the way he looked at her. He didn't have that gleam in his eye that I'd seen when others looked at their mates, in fact there was nothing there, no decipherable emotion could be detected. Even though I knew I should mind my own business, my curiosity got the better of me.
"You two aren't mates."
I didn't phrase it as a question because I had no doubt that I was wrong.
They both turned to look at me, looks of surprise on their faces.
"You're a sharp one. Not many people know that."
I smiled at Ariel but I just looked Thomas up and down, suspicious at his lack of response. I didn't like him because even though they weren't mates, he didn't seem to feel any kind of way toward Ariel, he didn't deserve her. I felt something tugging at my conscience and I felt this protectiveness towards Ariel that I didn't even feel toward my own mother. But before I could get deeper into my thoughts Thomas interrupted.
"Your highness, I've gathered everyone in the meeting hall, please follow me."
He walked off without really waiting for anyone to follow. I stood and followed behind Michael, keeping pace with Ariel. I felt the nerves start to build up and I clenched my hands into fists only for them to be gently pried apart by soft hands.
My head snapped down to Ariel who only gripped my hand into hers tighter in a comforting squeeze. She looked up at me and gave an encouraging smile.
"Don't be nervous, if she isn't here then she'll be somewhere else waiting for you."
I was never one to really smile but I found myself smiling a real, genuine smile at her.
"Thank you."
She only squeezed my hand again and didn't let go until we reached the door of the meeting hall. I gave her hand a squeeze before I reluctantly released it and allowed her to enter before me.
The room fell into silence as I entered. I looked over the crowd, none of the women that I could see were my mate. As I stepped up on the platform, everyone bowed to show their respect. I didn't want to dwaddle around so I got right to business.
"The two rogue women who wandered into this territory, please come forward."
The sounds of chains rattling brought my attention to the side of the platform.
Disappointment filled me as my eyes landed in the two women, neither were my Amina. One seemed to be no older that twelve and the other  couldn't be older than 18. I looked them both directly in the eyes and since I was king I could search their minds so I did. I found no ill intent from them.
"Let them go, they mean no harm to anyone."
Thomas nodded and motioned two guards forward to undo their bindings. I turned to Thomas.
"Under my order they are official members of this pack."
"Yes your highness."
Ariel motioned for two older women to help the two girls get cleaned up I assumed. I turned back to the crowd.
"There was a woman who claimed to be my mate, come forward."
There was a burst of giggles from the back of the room before a figure began moving closer to the stage. I spotted a head of dark curly hair and I felt my hopes rise but they were quickly dashed when her scent didn't match that of my mates. She continued to walk toward me, a sultry smirk on her face.
"That damn girl, I should've known." I heard Ariel whisper behind me.
I felt anger bubbling up inside of me. How dare she lie and say she was my mate! I have half the mind to try her for treason.
She had reached the stage by now and as she quickly ran up the stairs, I had no time to react when she launched herself in my arms.
"Oh Titus baby I missed you so much, I promise I won't ever leave you again!"
I shoved her away from me in disgust and my hand was around her throats in a split second.
"How dare you! You have no right to touch me I am your king not your equal. And as for impersonating your queen and my mate I should try you for treason!"
I applied more pressure to her throat, satisfied with the shade of purple she was turning. If it wasn't for Ariel stepping in I think I might have actually killed the girl.
"Alpha please let her go, I'll handle her punishment for this but she doesn't deserve to die."
Ariels soothing voice cleared the angry haze in my mind. I heard the gasps from the crowd when she placed a hand on my arm. I looked over at her and I was met with her teary blue eyes. For some reason it made me upset to see her so upset so I released my grip on the girl and she crumpled to the floor, gasping for breath. Ariel placed a hand gently on my back and I let her guide me from the room all the way to the limo. I let Michael get in before I turned to her. She gave me a motherly smile.
"I'm sorry she wasn't here but I promise you that you'll find her."
I don't know what came over me but I felt the sudden urge to hug her, so I did.
I buried my face in her neck like a child would their mother even though it was uncomfortable to bend down, this was one of the best hugs that I had ever gotten. She rubbed her hand up and down my back which was more effective at sating my anger than she probably thought. When I pulled away she pulled me down one more time to place a motherly kiss on my cheek.
"Now don't you get discouraged honey sometimes you have to fail before you can succeed."
I found myself not wanting to leave her here but I knew it wouldn't be possible for me to take her with me, this pack needed their Luna so I settled for the next best thing.
"Is -is it okay if I call you sometime?"
She smiled so hard it looked like her cheeks were hurting.
"I'd love that! You can call anytime sweetie I'll answer."
I found myself smiling despite my sour mood and I thanked her one last time before getting into the car.
As we pulled off I found myself waving back at her when she waved goodbye and I watched her figure get smaller and smaller until she was no longer visible. I turned to face forward, ready to let my troubled thought take over my mind but I was interrupted by Michael.
"What the fuck was that all about?"
I looked at him, feeling slightly embarrassed. I shrugged.
"I don't know, I just felt some kind of connection with her."
He looked at me incredulously.
"Not like that. I meant like a parental connection with her. She felt like she was my mother, she treated me as if I were her son. I don't know I can't explain it."
He only nodded even though I knew he didn't really understand.
His phone dinged signaling that he had a new message. His eyebrows scrunched together as he read it.
"It seems as if another pack has a woman claiming to be your mate in Blue Creek."
I sighed and knocked on the partition and let the driver know about the change of direction.
**
I was beyond livid as I left Blue Creek it was nothing but another fucking fraud wasting my time again. I had almost killed this one two but I refrained from doing so, just barely.
**
And that was how the weeks went on. Some woman would claim to be my mate and she would be a fraud and I had finally had enough. I ordered and immediate set up to do a kingdom wide announcement. I had it set up so that I had control over every device with a speaker or a monitor that I only used for emergencies or important announcements and today I had a very important announcement.
I was once again dressed in my official king wardrobe and I was sitting behind my desk in my study in front of a camera that would put my face on every TV, laptop,tablet, and cellphone in my kingdom with a push of a button.
I motioned for Paxton to push the button and I let my wolf come slightly to the surface so that my blue eyes changed to gold and my voice was deeper and more powerful so that I could ensure that my point got across.
"I want everyone to stop what they're doing and listen. As you all may know by now, my mate and your queen has gone missing. Soon after I issued an order that if anyone saw my mate that they were to report it immediately. Since then several women's from several packs have decided to falsely claim that they are my mate and that is unacceptable. So in the wake of this game that you insist on playing I will order the deaths of ANYONE who thinks that it's okay to play childish pranks on their king. I want all of you to be on the lookout for her. She has brown hair and eyes, a light complexion,  she's approximately five feet tall, and her name is Amina Matthews. If you see anyone that fits this description to the tee, you its report her immediately. And Amina if you're watching this, I will get you back."
I nodded at Paxton to let him know that I'm finished and dismissed him from my office. I leaned back in my chair and stared at the wall. Even though I was alone I spoke aloud.
"Amina, I'm going to get you back, that I promise."

Titus' crown

Titus' crown

Amina's crown-------------------------------------------------------Long chapter

Amina's crown
-------------------------------------------------------
Long chapter. Don't forget to vote, comment, and share!
PEACE