Chapter 19

"I don't want to do this," I sighed.

"Cheer up America. You signedup for this," Maxon reminded me.

"No," I argued. "I signed up to hang
I out with my boyfriend, who's always busy and I never get to see. Little did I know he would trick me into doing this." I gestured dramatically to the large room at the front of the academy.

"We are just welcoming a foreign exchange student," He reasoned.

"Not just Any foreign exchange student. A princess," I stressed as if it would explain everything.

"Every single person at this school is a prince or princess America," Maxon laughed. He really wasn't helping his case at the moment.

"Princess Jacquelyn is no ordinary princess. She is the princess of Pompeii and even I've met her. She tours the world and is adored by all, but little do they know who she really is. An evil, arrogant, stuck up-"

"What are you talking about?" Maxon interrupted. "Jacquelyn couldn't hurt a fly. She is a bit ditsy if you ask me."

I turned to him with murderous eyes. "You believe all that too?"

He raised an eyebrow. "How could you possibly know what she's like."

"My father painted a portrait for her while she was  in town. I became good friends with her but she wasn't as she seemed. It wasn't done her way, so she took off without paying us a dime. Mom was counting on that money to afford Christmas gifts for May and Gerad. They got nothing that year," I retold.

"I'm sure there is a different explanation for why she left..."

"I don't think so," I sighed sadly.

The doors burst open and two well dressed Blondes waltzed in. One had very long spiral curled hair that was obviously fake and blue almost grey eyes. She was practically pulling the other around. The other had her hair cropped into a bob cut and curled. It was a very cute and unique. It made it obvious which sister was which.

The elder. The meaner. The faker sister.  Jacquelyn, was the one pulling this girl around.

Jacquelyn let go of the girl long enough to make the scowl on her face disappear and be replaced by a wide smile that showed off layers of white teeth. She threw her bags on the floor and flung herself at Maxon. Oh. No. she. Did. Not.

"Maxi. It's been too long," The princess says. "How've you been?" She didn't allow him to answer. "Find the one yet? Completely understandable. How can your parents expect you to find the next ruler of the country in a school for wannabe princesses. Sure, they're pretty and some of them even smart. But none could possibly be your wife."

"I think that is enough, Jacqy," the other blonde snipped.

"Jacquelyn, Cadence, meet my girlfriend America Singer, America meet Jacquelyn and Cadence of Pompeii."

"America!" Jacquelyn yelled as if she hadn't stolen the best job my families ever gotten. "I haven't seen you in ages."

"What a Shame," I retorted.

"You haven't met my sister yet. She is A year below us. Don't mistake us as twins," Jacquelyn laughed

"It's very nice to meet you Cadence," I said bowing politely. She did the same.  

Jacquelyn smiled and turned towards Maxon again. "So.....when you breaking up with her?" She whispered as she pulled him away.

I wasn't meant to here that.

Or maybe I was.

"I see the look your giving Jacquelyn,"Cadence sighed. "Don't blame her for anything. I dont know why her brain convinces her if the things it does, but she's harmless."