I

The taxi rolls down the busy street of New Orleans. Finally, I'm home. I don't even know why I left my home in the first place, it's beautiful here, why would I want to leave?

The taxi driver clears his throat, tearing me away from my thoughts.

"Miss?" I turn my gaze towards him.

I hadn't realised we had stopped, I wonder how long we were here for? Not long I hope, don't want to look like an idiot.

I pay the driver and grab my bags from the seat next to me. The second I step out of the car, the sound of jazz music and the smell of street food hits me, exciting all my senses. I breathe in the intoxicating New Orleans air and start walking down the street, weaving in and out of everybody. Everyone looks so happy. Why did I leave?

Brushing off my thoughts, I re-adjust my shoulder bag and continue walking. The music remains to dance around me as I take in the sights around me; people dancing, drinking and eating, musicians all playing in unison, making the whole street come to life. The moonlight bounces down the street, reflecting off the colourful buildings. I love New Orleans so much.

The laughter of a child catches my attention, I glance to the right of me and see a father and his daughter dancing, smiling. So happy.

My smile soon turns into a sad one. I wish I could have that.

"Lizzie?" A familiar voice says from behind me. I spin around and nearly shriek with excitement.

"Marcel!" I drop my bags and jump into his arms. His scent is one I have truly missed. I don't realise there are tears in my eyes until I open them, pulling away from him. I wipe my eyes immediately, not wanting to look vulnerable and sad. He chuckles and picks up my bags.

"Hello to you too." He grins. "Whatcha doing back here? I thought you were gone for good when you left." He starts walking so I follow.

I think to myself for a moment, confusion washing over me. "I-I don't even know why I left." I reply sadly, shaking my head. "Don't worry though," I grin, brushing my thoughts off and glancing up to my dearest friend, "I'm not going anywhere this time." I smile up at him winking, he gives me a smile back.

We carry on walking but Marcel breaks the peaceful silence between us. "I missed you, Lizzie." He whispers. I guess it really upset him when I left, God, I hate myself. Again, brushing my thoughts off, I smile at my nickname, it's been a while since I've heard that. I don't reply, unsure of what to say to him. Do I apologise? Cry? Probably, but I want to enjoy this night, me and Marcel used to be reckless. Time to bring that back.

I take a deep breath and let it out loudly. "I need a drink, a strong one." I smirk.

Marcel nods in agreement. "I know a great bar, come with me." Marcel replies, taking a slight detour from the direction we're walking in. We get there in only a few minutes.

"Rousseau's?" I say surprised, glancing at Marcel with a skeptical look. Is he crazy? Doesn't he remember what happened last time we were here together? "I got kicked out of there...we both did." I try to suppress my snigger and keep a stern look, but we both end up in a fit of laughter.

"Don't worry." He comes a bit closer to me, lowering his voice "I compelled them." He winks. I look up at him surprised, he wasn't like this when I left, he used to be so...innocent. He used to reserve his vamp powers for real problems, I used to be the trouble maker. What have I done to you Marcy?

"That used to be my job, compelling people, getting us out of trouble. Ooh! remember when we stole that Impala!" I say excitedly. My favourite car, obviously.

Marcel looks down at me and gives me a funny look like he thinks I'm crazy or something. "You mean, when you compelled that Impala." He chuckles

Oh, did I not mention I was a vampire, sorry.

Shaking his head, Marcel opens the door to the bar, he bows and gestures for me to walk in. "Ladies first." he smirks. I laugh and shake my head, walking past him and through the door. Just as I was about to sit down, a familiar voice stops me. I slowly turn around, facing the bar and let out a breath.

"Oh my god." I whisper.

He turns around and his face drops. What is that, sadness? Relief? 

"Elizabetha?"

I stand there, stunned, not moving. What do I do? I just breathe out that one name that I haven't heard or said for a very long time.

"Elijah."

-----------------

Short chapter but bare with me!!!

Katie <3