Chapter 22

The Cure - Fascination Street

Adrianne

The feeling of being dragged across the ground didn't hurt as much as I thought it would.

My eyes were closed. I was too scared to open them to see what was pulling me by my feet.

Until I heard his voice.

"Adrianne."

I forced my eyes open. It was him calling me.

He was covered in dirt and blood, his light hair a mess and his eyes wild. His back was covered with fresh wounds, blood dripping onto my legs.

Buildings crumbled around us and fell, leaving the rusted steel frames behind. The ground shook, and the sounds of thousands of screams reached my ears.

The sky was on fire.

"Reece," I whispered.

Suddenly, he let go of my ankles and screamed in pain. A sharp object pierced through the front of his bare chest, and blood splattered all over me.

I watched as he dissolved into the air, and the smell of ash stung my nose.

I opened my eyes again, but only to see my ceiling. I studied every ridge and bump as I cried, tears mixing with my sweat.

I eventually sat up, holding my head in my hands.

I haven't dreamt of him since...

I looked at my phone to see it was only nine at night. I must have fallen asleep again.

I've been sleeping all day, for the past few days. It seems like forever since I'd last seen him. I felt a huge hole in my heart, but I know I can't fill it, even though I want to desperately. I can't let it get to me.

Brianna's been calling me nonstop, but I haven't answered. I knew I couldn't bring myself to answer her strings of questions.

Sighing, I got out of bed and turned my bathroom light on. I splashed water on my face, rubbing the back of my neck. I grabbed one of my towels, pressing against my eyes so hard that spots danced in front of them.

I couldn't get the image of him out of my head.

I slammed down on the counter with my fist in frustration.

No.

I have to be strong.

A loud thud came from outside of my room, and I shot my head up to look at my mirror. My dark room stared back at me.

What was that?

I made my way out of the bathroom and into my room. I opened my door, looking down the hallway. Nothing.

Taking my phone, I turned the flashlight on and headed down the hallway to my mom's room.

I lightly knocked on her door.

"Mom?" I asked quietly.

I cracked her door open and peeked in, seeing the outline of her in bed. She was sleeping.

I closed her door and padded back to my room, quickening my pace.

What the hell was that?

I closed my door behind me, making sure I locked it.

Out of nowhere, a loud crash came from behind me as something slammed into my door.

I flipped around, covering my mouth in fright.

What the hell? What the fuck is that?

I backpedaled, knocking my back into the wall.