Chapter 11: Staying Home

When Kanan finally reached home, he rushed inside only to be greeted by his wife rushing into his burly arms. With quick reflexes, he wrapped them around her and gently rubbing her back from hearing sobs. He sighed  gently and started to speak to her softly, trying to calm her. After what seemed like forever to Kanan, which was only 10 minutes, he pulled her away to see her face. He smiled cautiously and said while wiping her face, "Hey Sweetheart. I know this is hard but what I said over the phone still counts. This isn't your fault and if you don't believe it, then make up for it. It's that simple. Now, let's go see our son." Hera smiled and cupped her hand against Kanan's which rested on her face. He smiled back happily and they both rushed up the stairs.

Entering the room, the married couple could instantly feel the tension gathered. The two teens, the male in the desk chair and the girl sitting on the bed with a bowl in hand, were frowning at the teen who laid beneath the covers. The two heads snapped in their direction and frowned even harder than before. Sabine stared sadly the teen as she brung a rag out of the bowl, squeezing it to get the water out and placing it on the kids head.
"When you were in the kitchen talking to Kanan, Ezra started a fever. We wanted to tell but decided to wait for you." Hera walked over to the child and placed her hand on his flushed, pink cheek. Ezra sighed and leaned into her hand, "Cold..." he whispered and furrowed his eyebrows.
The women smiled and threaded her hand through his blueberry hair. "Hey Love, you mind opening your eyes for us?"
Ezra softly groaned before half opening his eyes. He quickly closed them again before opening them more slowly. His glazed over sapphires lazily drifted upward and he said softly, "Its too hot. Why is it to hot?"
Hera smiled as he stared at her, expecting an answer, "Well Love, after we bandaged you up and brought you upstairs, you started a fever which feels very high by the way."
Ezra chuckled lightly which quickly turned into a hiss. "I probably shouldn't do that." Hera frowned and said sternly with a soft undertone, "I agree so go back to sleep."
Ezra smiled and said humorously, "Ok, ok but let me take this off."
Everyone could see his struggles before Hera reluctantly sat him up against his pillows, knowing he would win anyway. He dragged his covers down and quickly noticed he was in boxers, "Not going to ask"
He reached down and pulled his leg off with ease, the others watching intently. He placed it off to the side and reached back and the group saw a rubber sleeve left on the stump. Quickly rolling it off, he stuffed in the hole of the leg next to him. He slid back down in the bed and placed his head on the pillow. They all held their breaths as they watched and smiled at their addition as he said casually, "Soo much better. Now I heard someone say sleeping..." before he even finished, he had already drifted off.
Kanan silently moving, grabbed the leg and held the light metal in his hands. He stared at the complex contraption and said puzzled, "Where did he get this thing?" Sabine quickly answered as she pulled the covers back up, "He made it at a fosters house and but I thought you already knew that."
Kanan glanced at her with a confused look, "Why would I?" Sabine smirked, "Ezra might or might not have known, but I knew y'all were spying on us when we were talking in the kitchen." Kanan chuckled lightly, "we might have overheard your conversation but we only heard from when he was talking about why he wasn't afraid to tell us. So we didn't hear that part."
Hera who was petting Ezra's sleeping head snapped her head in his direction and said suddenly, "Oh yeah, Love. I'm sorry for bringing you away from work, I hope your boss wasn't mad."
Kanan nodded as he softly placed the leg back down and said, "Don't worry about it Sweetheart but the weirdest thing happened with my boss."
Everyone, eager for gossip, leaned in for the news. "My boss, Ahsoka Tano, knew him. She said she was one of the officers at Ezra's parents crime scene. Apparently, she was the only who was allowed to touch him."
Everyone leaned back with furrowed eyebrows, Hera swinging her legs up into the bed with the teen who was leaning against her. "Bu' why didn' she take 'im in then?" Zeb questioned.
"There were rules against that at the time. But they stayed in touch apparently as she asked she to tell him she said 'hi' " Hera smirked as Ezra moved his head to her lap, "And what did you forget to tell him, Love?" Kanan looked at her with a deadpan look, "That Ahsoka said 'hi'" She nodded and went back to grooming the boy. "Ok I think we should let him sleep don't you guys?" Hera announced. Everyone nodded sadly and as she went to stand up, Ezra wrapped his arms around her waist, "Please don't go, mugh..." She smiled and said softly to the others who were already on the stairs, "Don't worry about me. I'll stay up here and make sure he's fine. We can have Chinese takeout tonight." Nods were seen before walking out.