The One With the Deaths

Chapter 36 The One With the Deaths

It was a week later when Merlin followed Ron to the Great Hall. Harry was away doing, who knows what, and Hermione had gone to talk with a Professor, and Morgana was with Aithusa in the forest. So Merlin decided to spend some time with Ron since he was finished with his work for the day.

They stood at the top of the stairs on the seventh floor when Harry came rushing up towards them; all drenched in water and blood.

"Harry!" Merlin exclaimed his expression terrified. "What have you done?" He was chocked by the sight.

"Where have you...?" Ron stammered beside him. "Why are you wet? Is that blood?" He looked just as terrified as Merlin felt.

"I need the book." Harry panted, not answering their questions. "Your potions book." He told Ron. "Quickly. Give me it."

"Why do you need...?" Merlin started, but Ron spoke at the same time.

"But what has happened with the Half blood's..." Ron began, but Harry interrupted him.

"I'll explain later." Harry said urgently and Ron quickly took out his book from his bag and gave it to Harry. Harry didn't say anything, he just ran past them towards the common room.

"What do you think has happened?" Merlin asked Ron after they had decided to walk back to the common room.

"No idea, but hopefully he will tell us." Ron answered; his eyes still dilated in chock.

They had just reached the common room when Harry burst out and ran away from them; his bag clutched to his chest.

"Whatever it is, it has something to do with that book." Merlin said as he watched Harry disappear behind a corner. Then he and Ron walked through the portrait hole and sat down in the armchairs to wait for Harry to come back.

Harry came back one hour later and by then, Hermione had arrived as well.

---------------------------------

"You did what!?" Merlin exclaimed and stood up from his armchair. Harry almost shrunk back into the sofa when he stood over him. Merlin cast one look over the few students left in the common room and they scampered of as quickly as they could.

Hermione sat beside Harry and even though Merlin's gaze was fixed on Harry; she felt small under it. This was the first time she had seen Merlin like that and also the first time she actually felt he was Emrys from the legends. He exuded an aura of power and fear he didn't have otherwise.

"It wasn't on purpose." Harry muttered and avoided his gaze.

"He did that to me as well." Ron whispered to her and she turned her attention to him even though it was hard to block out Merlin's voice.

"I don't care if it was on purpose or not!" Merlin yelled; the common room now completely deserted except for them. "You don't try an unknown spell on another person!"

"What do you mean?" She whispered back to Ron; cringing under Merlin's harsh voice.

"He tried to use an unforgivable spell on me." Harry protested weakly.

"You remember the day after the Christmas party?" She nodded in confirmation. "He used that same intimidating voice while telling me to grow up. It was bloody terrifying." Ron grimaced and looked over at Harry; Hermione followed his gaze.

"And you didn't think to just use a protection spell? You know; a shield?" Merlin said with exasperation in his voice and Hermione could see he tried hard not to roll his eyes.