Chapter 29: Don't be Ticklish

Rule #3: No Physical Contact 

Don't be Ticklish. 

-()-

"I am now your slave." 

"Peyton?" 

"Good evening, Archer. I have come to announce that, as per tradition, I must your slave. You saved my life from a bloodthirsty hound and beginning today, I will repay your debt." 

"It's three o'clock in the morning." 

"Indeed."

"Did the doctors give you painkillers again?" 

"Yes, why?" 

A sigh. "Go to sleep, Peyton." 

"Is that an order?" 

"I thought you didn't follow orders." 

"I don't. Good night, Archer." 

"Good night, Peyton." 

- () - 

"Nice to see you again, Peyton. I see you're off the painkillers." 

"Yeah. They decided to stop giving them after I shredded a pillow - anyways, I came to apologize about last night. And your leg - it's all my fault -"

"Oh no." 

"What?" 

"You're not going to try to blame yourself for everything, are you?" 

"Well, it was my fault that I went up to the fence. If I didn't put my ear on it, the dog wouldn't have sensed me and -" 

A scoff. 

"Hey! I'm trying to apologize - " 

"You sound like my mother." 

"...What? Well, fine then! Maybe I won't apologize!" 

"Much better. That's the Peyton I like to see." 

"Well, you won't be seeing me anymore. I'm leaving."

"Bye Peyton!" 

"Whatever!" 

- () - 

"Peyton? Why are you in my room?" 

"Your mom's here." 

"Why are you crawling under my bed?" 

"My mom's here." 

"You're going to get sick." 

"It's a hospital. They should clean the floors every ten minutes if they don't want to be sued for health violations. I'm sure it's dust free." 

"That's not how it -" 

"Shh. They're coming." 

Through the crack between the floor and Archer's bed, I catch the dust that flies off as Mrs. Raine swings the door open. She enters the room with a grand entrance, her heels clicking every step of the way. My mother's white flats and Bettie's blue sneakers follow. 

The bed shifts over me, indicating that Archer has sat up. 

"Archer, darling! Are you alright? When that girl called and told us that a dog had mauled you, we nearly had a heart attack. I leave you with her for a couple of hours and you end up in a hospital!"