12

I bounce my knee up and down as I hear the murmurs of Hinata's height. "Why's he a middle blocker?" "What are they doing?" I feel antsy, waiting for Hinata to prove them wrong. The game starts with the blow of a whistle.

Kageyama sets the ball to Tanaka who spikes it down on the other side of the court. I momentarily forget about my troubles and feel excited to witness the first spike of the match. I remain stoic on the outside and scribble some notes down. They don't look to be too much trouble right now, they're decent but definitely not a Nekoma.

Asahi scores the second point. "Nice point!" the team calls out. Then the moment of our revival. Kageyama and Hinata's quick attack. Kageyama sets the ball in a perfect parabola, lining the ball up with Hinata's palm. With his eyes shut, he slams the ball down, not leaving anytime for our opponents to react.

A silence so intense I could hear a pen drop from the bleachers breaks with excited ramblings from the crowd. "This is our revival!" Takeda-sensei stands up and exclaims. I feel the determination coming from the whole team, including myself.

BAM, another point is won. And then another. The other team barely has enough time to score with our constant offense. "They don't even need an evasive strategy, they're just playing," I note aloud.

"That's right but this is only the first match. If we win, our next opponent will be Date Ko, the-"

"Iron wall," I interject Sugawara. "They are the ones who made Asahi quit. He could barely get past them, costing us the game," he adds. I nod in understanding. "So that's why he's been so anxious. He knows he'll have to face them again,"Sugawara nods solemnly.

~~~

At the start of the second set, I hear my phone buzz from inside my bag. I lean back and check the text I received. Only two words. I'm outside.

The sick feeling in my gut returned and is back for revenge. I cast my gaze across the court at the team but nod. They'll be fine without me. "Takeda-sensei, I have to go now," The team members on the bench, Shimizu and Ukai included, look at me with confusion. I grab my bag from behind the bench.

"Use my notes in case you run into trouble while I'm away," I set my clipboard next to Sugawara. I trot out of the gym and to the bathroom to change into business-type apparel.

Third POV

Karasuno's players eye their assistant coach curiously as she leaves the gym. They shake it off, she's probably just going to the restroom. They continue focusing on the game that they're playing.

She enters the largest stall and changed from her track suit into black slacks and a simple dark purple blouse. She switches tennis shoes for conservative flats and pushes back her hair. She stuffs her sweat pants and jacket into the bag before scurrying out to the parking lot to mwwt with her cousin.

~~~

Chihiro was mentally and emotionally exhausted from her worry. She sits in the passenger seat with her hand gripping her temple, trying to calm herself. "Tetsuro and Kozume and coming as witnesses, correct?" Chihiro nods.

She places a hand on her shoulder. "We won't let them take you. I promise," Chihiro nods but doesn't believe her.

~~~

The tense and exhausted teen enter the courthouse and goes to the correct courtroom. She is escorted to the Defendant's table next to her lawyer. She makes eye contact with her parents and she shudders internally. The distinguished business people has a harsh face and sharp glare.

Chihiro and her older cousin sit in the wooden chairs and wait for the trial to begin. And after what feels to be an eternity, the judge walks in. "Please stand in honor of the judge," She stands respectfully before sitting back down when the judge sits.

The age spotted man pushed up his glasses and reads off, "We are here today because Mr. and Mrs Moyasu is filing for the custody," He rattles on and we swear to tell the truth.

"Chihiro, why did you leave your parent's household?" he asks.

"Up until about a month ago, my biological parent would beat me on a regular basis," The jury sharply inhales at my claim. "And the Moyasu's?"

"We used light corporal punishment for serious matters and that is all," I grit my teeth at their answer.

"Objection," my cousin stands up. "We have witnesses of her excessive bruising since she was young,"

"Would you call those witnesses to stand?" I nod.

An officer escorts Kuroo and Kenma into the witness box and interrogate them. "Did you ever see bruises on Chihiro's body and if so, where?" my parents lawyer asks.

"She came to school almost everyday to school with bruised on her legs, stomach, and arms, conveniently out of sight. The only reason we know she had them is because we would occasionally see her roll up her sleeves before rolling them back down quickly. Like she forgot about how she needed to hide them," Kuroo testifies.

"How did you learn of the ones on her legs and stomach?"

"We made her show us," Kenma rebuttals.

My parents claim that I would receive bruises due to my clumsy nature as a child. "We would never do such a thing as that," her mother fakes horror. This went on for a long while. The Moyasu's has an excuse for everything.

"She claims that we killed her little brother but he fell down the stairs when we weren't looking," her father claims.

"Then why didn't you take him to the hospital immediately?"

They pause. "My client thought he was just being a regular rambunctious down syndrome child, didn't think to much of the loud noise," Chihiro purses her lip and glares. "Defendant?"

"They beat my little brother to death and almost beat me to death as I called 911," her harsh voice covered up her fear.

~~~

First POV

I was scared. Their lawyer had everything down perfectly. I can't go back their. I can't go back to Tokyo.

"I have multiple scars from broken glass bottles and knives on myself. You can tell me that I tripped and fell on a knife," I try to keep my composure.

"We would never do that to our daughter! I am ashamed that you would even think that we would!" Mrs. Moyasu gasps.

I slam my hand on the table. "Then explain! Did I trip and fall onto a broken wine bottle too?! HUH?!" I feel myself getting angrier and angrier. The gavel slams down three times. "Enough!" the judge cuts me off.

I turn to my cousin, "I'm scared," I whisper. Fear and panic bubble in my chest. I can't go back. I feel tear well up in my eyes but I hold them back.

~~~

The grueling trial left me in pieces. A few tear slipped out of my eyes in the process. The jury was meeting together in the back room to decide my fate. I sit in the hard wooden chair awaiting my sentence.

Except this sentence is worse than death. I'd rather be dead than to go back. The tight feeling in my throat and the nauseous feeling I had reflected my inner thoughts. I pop my knuckles and bite my lip. Time went by so slow. My anxiety gripped my heart and squeezes it.

"I won't let them take you," my cousin holds my shoulders and rests her head on my shoulders. She shakes her head, "I refuse,"

"But what if I have to go back?" I ask.

"No, that won't happen,"

"But what if is does?" I feel my chest tighten even more. It felt like I was dying. She shook her head. "Stop it," she whispers.

The doors swing open and the leader of the jury walks in. My eyes widen and my chest starts heaving. As he approached the front of the room I begin breathing heavily and breaking out into a cold sweat. "Calm down," my cousin tries to calm me but it falls of deaf ears. All this waiting for a couple of words from a stranger. My whole body clenches up even more. I feel myself shake and my face heat up.

"As leader of the jury, I declare that the Moyasu's should-"