Two

WARNING! SAMPLE CHAPTER ONLY!

BOOK RELEASE ON JULY 19, 2020. AVAILABLE ON AMAZON AND KINDLE.

I woke up the next morning to my phone's alarm thumping in tune with my throbbing head. This headache was probably the result of always sleeping late at night and waking up early in the morning. Five hours of sleep is never enough for anyone who loves sleep as much as I do.

Careful not to make any noise, I tiptoed to the bathroom. I freshened up and silently made breakfast as I let Terry sleep in. After doing my chores, I left Terry's food on the counter and covered it to keep it warm. Next, I went back to the couch and turned on the television, with the sound off. This was my routine every morning.

When I heard a soft thud and the slight creaking of a door, I knew Terry was up. I waited for him to appear before saying anything.

"I'll be going to the hospital early today if you don't mind," I said as he passed the living room on his way to the kitchen counter. Though he knew this already, I still felt obliged to tell him.

"Since you cooked, you can go in peace," he replied, his voice slurred from sleepiness.

I shook my head in amusement and turned my attention back to the television, increasing the volume. I let Terry do his routine and waited for him to come back to the living room, looking alive and presentable, before talking again.

"So, how was last night? Did you get laid this time?" I asked when he reappeared with his usual black shirt and faded jeans.

"No, I didn't. I'm still not ready for any of that," he replied as he sunk on the couch beside me, sighing.

"You never told me who you're dating. I don't want to pry, but you keep having these moods every morning, and I'm running out of advice for you," I barked in frustration, setting the TV on mute again before facing him. "So, tell me."

"Do you want to know, really?" he asked, his eyebrow raised in question.

"Yes, I think we've been together long enough, and some secrets are bound to be revealed. So, let's get this out of the way. You tell me about the person you're dating, and I tell you something about myself," I said, looking him dead in the eyes. "Do we have a deal?" I asked, offering my hand for a shake.

He looked at me for a second and then looked down at my hand. It took him another moment before he shook it.

"Good. So, who is she?" I asked before he could sidetrack me.

He stared at me, looking thrown off by my question. And then, he exploded with laughter.

"Why are you laughing?" I asked by the time his laughter died down.

"Why do you assume I'm going out with a girl?" he asked, still chuckling.

"Wait... what?" I said, a little bit unsure. "You're gay?" I asked bluntly, stunned at this sudden revelation.

"Why do you sound surprised?" Terry asked as he eyed me with a raised eyebrow.

I was speechless. I tried to think of some signs that could have told me he was gay. However, nothing came to mind.

"So that's why you never hit on me," I jokingly accused him.

"You just had to point that one out," Terry said as he shook his head, though his eyes gleamed in amusement.

"So, who is he?" I asked, after recovering from the shock.

"Wow, you got over that one fast, didn't you?" Terry muttered before he took a deep breath, becoming morose. "We had a fight before you moved here. I told him about you and well..." he trailed off.