Chapter 2: Lark song

Rain fell from the sky the following day. The sky sporting angry looking grey clouds with black smears across them, foreshadowing a heavier storm. Now, the rain was a light drizzle that froze your body and encouraged you to stay inside the safety of the tents.

You shivered as a cold drop of water slipped down your back and chilled your body. You hadn't thought of bringing your trustworthy cloak, fearing that it would get caught while using the maneuvering gear Anthony had stolen.

The worn out straps, some of them already fraying under constant use, rubbed against your clothes and skin from the rain, causing irritation. You grit your teeth and hugged yourself, trying to save some extra heat as you trudged through the rain, away from the forest.

You saw the figure of the boy named Lark in the distance, his willowy figure easily recognizable in the grey morning.

His hood was pulled up over his head, beads of water slipping from the material as he lifted a piece of damp wood from the pile. Lark had always had an exceptional gift with hearing, but what skill he made up with his ears, he lacked in his eyesight. He squinted in the rain, his light brown eyes coming into thin slits as you stomped through the undergrowth.

"Is that you, Little Kestrel?" His delicate, musical sounding voice called out.

You rolled your eyes at the nickname and edged closer to him.

"Yeah. It's me."

A crooked smile tugged at his lips, his eyes returning to their normal rounded size. Though he was nearly blind, his eyes still could pinpoint your shivering form.

"I thought I heard those little footsteps of yours, Kestrel," he hummed, the sound mimicking the tinkling of bells. "What are you doing out here in this part of camp? I never see you here."

You snorted and crossed your arms, watching Lark continue lifting the wood and setting it beneath the makeshift tarp he had made to keep the wood dry.

"Maybe I was exploring." You huffed, stepping even closer to Lark.

The tall, skinny boy let out a light breathy laugh and bent down to pick up another sodden piece of wood.

"I may not be able to see your face very well anymore Little Kestrel, but I can tell when you're lying."

Your grunted and dug your boot into the muddy ground, upset how easily Lark had seen through you. He began to hum, the tune a familiar song to your ears.
His head swayed slightly to his own tune, his whiskey orbs focusing on his task, not bothered by the water soaking his clothes.

You had never heard anyone sing before you had met Lark, the notes and fluctuations of his voice left you awe the first time you heard him sing. No matter how many times he sang the same tune, it could never grow old for you.

You sighed and noticed you had been shivering the whole encounter with Lark. You swore softly and rubbed your hands together for some shred of heat.

"Are you cold, Little Kestrel?" Lark hummed, pausing the melody.

He placed the wood down before pulling down his hood and unclasping the fabric of his faded out cloak. Lark's arm stretched out to you with the fabric in his slender hands and smiled, his large brown eyes sparkling.

At first you protested him giving you his only source of protection against the icy droplets, insisting he needed it more than you did. He just shook his head and took a stride forward and placed it upon your shoulders, the warmth of his own body still lingering. The comforting and familiar smell of tree sap and juniper filling your nostrils as you adjusted it.