Chapter 8: Knife in the Dark

It was dark. Too dark for your liking. You shifted and groaned as your joints popped and cracked in your hips and lower back.

You stretched, your arms brushing against the dusty shelves above you.

Shelves? Where were you?

You pushed yourself up slowly, an open book sliding off your lap as you stood. Before it could tumble to the ground your quick fingers were able to catch it, saving it from possible damage.

Ah, that's right, you were in the library.

You let out a puff of air and squinted in the dark lighting, trying to see what Armin had left you to read. Giving up trying to read the blurry minuscule words, you shut the book with a snap and tucked it under your arm, planning to read it later with better lighting conditions.

Your eyes narrowed in the darkness, odd shapes and mounds forming in the inky blackness of the library. The candles had long since burned out, hinting that it was later in the night than when you had arrived.

An uneasy feeling settled in the pit of your stomach at the deafening silence. You shifted uncomfortably, frozen to the spot in fear of something snatching you from within the darkness.

To put it simply; you were afraid of the dark.

Ever since you were a little girl, the darkness haunted you. You knew the exact moment you became afraid of the murky tendrils that consumed everything it touched. It was the night he dragged you to the woods after you let one of your own die. The night he beat you until your mind felt like static and your limbs didn't feel like your own. And then he left you. Left you for the shadowy claws to drag you down with them.

With shaking hands you slowly pressed your hand against the dagger, finding comfort from the chilly metal. Pulling the metal from its secure place against your waist, you slipped it beneath your sleeve and took a shaky step forward.

Your heart beat rapidly against your ribcage, planning to make a sprint towards the small glare of candlelight at the entrance of the library.

Holding your breath and closing your eyes, you let your feet carry you with the nails of dread digging into skin.

Practically sobbing with relief, you gripped the side of the wall, your knuckles turning a pale white. You heart still beat rapidly inside your chest, blood rushing through your veins. You swore if anyone was around they could've heard the drum-like sound.

Soon, the rapid beating of your heart slowly decreased and you let your death grip on the wall loosen. You inhaled deeply and ran your index finger against the sharp metal, the coolness taming your frayed nerves.

Like your worst fears had come true, a heavy hand was placed on your tense shoulder.

Instinct took over, the hilt of the blade slipping from your sleeve and into your hand as you whipped around, faster than the blink of an eye.

The sharp edge of the blade was pressed against the pale exposed skin of your assaulter, his wide teal-green orbs filled with surprise and terror.

Your own owlish (e/c) orbs glared at the boy, an animal-like ferocity present in your stare. The brunette boy squeaked in fear when you increased the pressure, a bead of blood dripped down his neck.

Like you awoke from some kind of dream from seeing the crimson liquid, you backed away hastily. The teal eyed boy gasped and rubbed his newly acquired injury.

"Holy fuck." He hissed, his eyes nervously flicking from your face to your knife that you still held. "Horse Face said you were crazy, but fuck!"