Chapter 9: Assessments and Sparing

Wooo new chapter!! Things are really startin' to happen now. ;)

"Shit!"

Thomas kept swearing, his hair brushed the dusty ground. This was his fifth attempt trying to stay stable in the 3DMG mimicry contraption. Each try ended worse than the last and this recent attempt he had fallen backwards and barely caught himself from cracking his skull.

You tried to contain your soft giggles by bitting your lip, this was too funny. Thomas never was very strong or athletic, more of a sprinter if anything. He was faster than you, a proven fact found out years ago on a stupid bet. You had to do all of his chores for days after your loss.

Thomas glared daggers at you, his dark bangs falling over his even darker eyes as Erwin lowered his suspended body from the contraption.

You giggled again, the light musical sound reaching the Commander's ears; they turned scarlet a moment later. He liked hearing you laugh, he would happily listen to it everyday of his life if he could. He scolded himself mentally for his straying thoughts, you were off limits.

"You suck, (F/n)." Thomas growled, brushing off the dust particles that had attached to his hair once he was standing on his feet again.

"No, you suck, Thomas." You bantered childishly, folding your arms across your chest.

"Well I thought he was doing just fine." A shrill voice pipped up from a few feet away, her cat-like green eyes sparkled in the sunlight when she moved.

Remembering that the doctor had tagged along to your private assessments, as Erwin called it, made your blood boil in annoyance. Doctor Ramirez had insisted she joined the three of you once she heard Thomas was coming.

A shame...You rolled you eyes and scoffed, this lady was ridiculous.

"(F/n)," Erwin called you, snapping your from your angry glaring. "It's your turn."

You raised a brow at the Commander who waited patiently with the hooks in his strong hands. He mirrored your look mockingly.

"If I suck so much, Little Kestrel, then why don't you show me how it's done?" Thomas sneered, a glint of mischief showing in his eyes as he placed himself next to you. "Or is the little birdie afraid of heights now?"

You narrowed your eyes at the boy and stomped over to Erwin and snatched the hooks from his hands, tossing a dirty look at the raven haired boy behind you. Erwin's digits moved to help but you shot him a chilly glare that stopped him in his tracks.

"I don't need your help." You hissed, clenching your teeth and quickly attaching the hooks to your gear yourself.

Erwin's thick eyebrows furrowed slightly and nodded. He sighed and lifted you from the ground, your form perfect, still, and calm.

Flawless, he thought, his deep cerulean orbs eyeing your from head to toe.

Your arms were crossed in distaste and your face held your signature scowl. This was unnecessary and Erwin knew it. Yet he still made you do this little test. For what? You didn't know.

What Erwin failed to mention that morning, was that he only invited you to assess Thomas's skills, not your own. You had shown plenty of promises the day you climbed the wall. It was Thomas who the Commander was worried about. His new files had caused some recent troubles for Erwin, the boy was full of surprises and the Commander wasn't sure if he should tell the boy what they had found or keep it hidden until he asked...