Chapter Ten

I'm sorry this took so long, guys! Thank you for your patience and constant support.
Xx Divine Romance :)
~~~

Samuel walked through the castle halls grimly. It was the morning of the Duke of Adryrwen's departure and Samuel had decided to make an appearance, just to keep the Princess safe. If Duke Wilson was going to try anything dangerous, Samuel would be there to stop him.

He walked into the throne room where the official farewell would be held. Familiar faces stared at him - Tristan, the Duke, a few guards, Suzanna's father, even Rose... but no Suzanna. Immediately panic stirred in him. Where was she? Had Duke Wilson found her in the night and tried to harm her? What if she was in danger right now?

Samuel tried to disguise his alarm, though his heart pounded fiercely. He nodded once at Tristan, and again at the Duke, hiding all anger towards the despicable man. Suzanna did not want him to do anything; he had to respect her wishes, no matter how much he loathed the Duke. He scanned the room once more, wondering if perhaps she had just been hidden by another person. Still, she was not there.

Samuel froze. In all the chaos of yesterday he had forgotten to tell Suzanna what he had found out in the town - not that he had been able to find out very much. But the man Bain had warned him of 'Big Magnus'. What if Duke Wilson had set him after her? I should have warned her straight away, Samuel scolded himself. He was tense, ready to run out of the room at any moment - at the first announcement of the Princess being missing.

One of the smaller, side doors to the throne room creaked open. A maidservant scuttled inside, rushing forward nervously - no doubt from all the intimidating figures - to speak to Tristan quietly. She spoke for a few seconds then curtsied and hurried back out of the room. Samuel stared at Tristan curiously. Tristan looked up and smiled apologetically at Duke Wilson.

"Unfortunately my sister is bedridden suffering a painful headache and does not feel well enough to stand. She sends her sincere apologies and wishes you safe travels home," Tristan explained.

Relief washed over Samuel. So she was not in danger - but was she truly sick or was she just avoiding the Duke?

Duke Wilson nodded once, a pleasant smile on his face but mild anger in his eyes. If Tristan had noticed, he did not show it. "I understand and I am sure her health will return in due time," the Duke replied stiffly.

"We shall escort you outside to your carriage, then," Tristan's father spoke calmly.

Samuel followed the crowd a few paces behind the group. He watched the Duke carefully, half expecting him to pull out a weapon. But the Duke attempted no such thing. He walked confidently to his carriage, keeping an easy, friendly conversation the entire time. When he stopped by his carriage, he turned to bow respectfully to the royal family.

"I must thank you for your hospitality over this last month. I have felt quite at home and hope to extend the same invitation to your family soon," Duke Wilson said politely.

"Indeed, there will undoubtedly be many celebrations together to come," Suzanna's father said cheerfully, his face beaming. Samuel scowled at the ground.

"Undoubtedly," the Duke affirmed.

"We wish you safe travels," Rose said sweetly. Duke Wilson bowed once again and climbed into his carriage.

"Until next time," he called from the window. He knocked on the roof of the carriage twice and the coachman urged the horses into movement. The carriage was away, rocks and dirt flying up behind the wheels. Samuel sighed in relief as he watched the danger fade into the distance.