·{ Old Friends }·

Jonathan's POV

Evan lead me to our next class. I couldn't help but feel a pain in my chest - it hurt so badly to see him sad when I was the one who made him feel that way.

"Evan..." I mumbled while we waited beside the door for the all previous students to exit. He looked at me.

"I'm sorry." All he did was shrug, a small fake smile on his face as he did so.

All of the students had exited and I followed him into the room. I copied Evan's actions and sat at a desk in the bacm. I looked forward, squinting my eyes to see try and see the board, but I could not, so instead I took out a notebook and pencil.

In no time the class was full of other students and the teacher was smiling at the door, gesturing for someone to enter.

"Okay students, we have a new student!" The teacher, Ms. Morrison, cheered. She was always so nice and happy, she was my favorite because of that. My attention was stolen from her when a familiar face entered the classroom.

"Everyone, this is Luke Patterson!" Ms. Morrison smiled brightly. "You can sit next to Jonathan, dear." She gestured to the empty seat beside me. Before Luke moved he looked at me, his first reaction being one of surprise, but then he broke into a smile.

He walked up to the desk Ms. Morrison had pointed to and sat down, setting his backpack beneath it.

I was holding back the urge to hug him. I hadn't seen him in so long. He used to be my neighbor back in North Carolina, and we had become best friends. Sadly, he moved to New York when I was in the hospital before my dad died. I assume he moved here for the same reason he moved back then: his dad's work.

"Hey Jon," He whispered, smiling brightly. I beamed back and gave a wave before gesturing to the front of the class.

"We can talk after." I glanced over at Evan, seeing him looking at the teacher, so I did the same after giving Luke one last glance.

------------

Luke engulfed me in a hug once we exited the classroom, "I missed you so fucking much."

I hugged him back. "I missed you too." I let him go before turning around and facing Evan, "Evan, meet Luke. He's an old friend from North Carolina."

He smiled, holding his hand out for Luke to shake, which he did. "Nice to meet you."

Luke nodded at Evan's words, a smile still on his face.

"So, Luke, do you want to meet the crew?"

"The crew?" Luke questioned, confusion clearly lacing his words. Evan nodded, his smile growing as he jumped a little before walking away from us. I smiled as I passed Luke, patting his shoulder and gesturing with my head for him to follow Evan.

We arrived at the cafeteria, instantly going to our table. I glanced back at Luke to make sure he was still there, and he smiled at me when I did. I smiled back before facing the table and sitting down.

He sat on my right and Evan on my left. Everyone else around the table, or 'the crew' as Evan called them earlier, stopped their conversations to look at the new comer. A few had smiles, specifically Craig, Brock, and Brian. The others were either confused or showing no emotion and eating.

"Everyone, Luke. Luke, Everyone." Evan's tone was lazy and had a hint of sadness hidden among each word. The crew instantly started to introduce themselves, shwoing the best and happiest sides of them to Luke.

I tapped Evan's shoulder, leaning my head a bit towards him so I could whisper.

"You okay?" He turned his head to face me, our noses almost bumping.

I don't think I have looked into his eyes this long before. I was surprised I had been able to look away so many times prior.

They were the most beautiful brown - specks of a darker shade decorating the color. They had an amber tint, as if they were reflecting fire.

My attention was stolen from his eyes when I heard loud wheezing. I look over, seeing Tyler bent down over the table, laughing because of Craig. At the moment Craig reminded me of Rudolph; his nose being covered with ketchup.

I started laughing along with everyone else, glancing at Evan who was staring at me with a red face.

"You look like a tomato." I chuckled, poking his burning cheek. He gave me a shy smile, turning away from me as his face turned a deeper shade of red.

"Go away!" The familiar voice of my sister echoed throughout the cafeteria and I stood abruptly, any smile previously on my face now gone. I searched the cafeteria for my younger sister, eventually spotting her standing in front of a guy.

I sped-walked over to where she was and she instantly hid behind me, letting me know she was uncomfortable. My eyes traveled to the guy who was talking to her, a less than friendly expression on his face.

"What's going on here?" I asked, my brow raised as I spoke with hidden warning.

"That bitch doesn't want to fuck me." All of the words he had said powered my urge to punch his face, that urge instantly being acted upon.

When he stumbled back from the impact of my fist to his nose, you could hear the crowd that had surrounded us gasp. A few started shouting and cheering at us to fight when he straightened himself out and wiped the blood from his nose.

He lunged for me, taking a swing with his fist as he did. I attempted to dodge, but his fist hit my shoulder instead. The shoulder he hit had previously been bruised by Greta, and the impact made the bruise hurt like all hell.

Even in this state of pain, I had still managed to stay standing. I was too focused on the pain at that moment and I hadn't realized the attack being thrown at me until Jackie shouted my name.

I ducked, dodging his fist and punching him in the stomach. I stood back up quickly, bouncing a bit while he kneeled down and held his stomach. I took my chance, gaining momentum in my leg before kicking his face. The impact sent his head to the side and that's when I felt the yank.

The bruised shoulder screamed in pain as this happened for it had been pulled back. A physical scream being held in by my clenched teeth.

I looked up to see Luke holding my left arm and Evan holding the bruised right one.

"Take him home." I heard Jackie's voice shout out as I struggled to be released from the hands holding me back. If they weren't there, the disrespectful piece of shit on the ground would have his face caved in.

"I'll do it. I have a car." Luke said. That phrase was something that replaced my anger with panic.

Jackie must have noticed this, and in an attempt to make it better, she said, "I meant Evan," but that made it worse.

Luke dropped my arm, patting me on the shoulder before leaving to check on the guy I beat up.

Evan, however, did not drop my arm, making me look over at him. He glanced at the guy before looking back at me. He shook his head, his grip dropping from my arm and instead wrapping around my wrist, dragging me out of the cafeteria.

"Second time we’ve ditched school together." He attempted to make the mood lighter with a small joke as we walked out of the school.

I responded with a small smile of relief - he wasn't mad or scared of me. Thank the lord.