Chapter 38

Just applied for uni, gonna either become a stripper or a sugar  baby to pay my shit. 

______

Teddy Rik was in and out of dad's house all the time, asking questions to both Slater and me before speeding off again in his newly hired car. 

I was feeling antsy, especially since I couldn't do anything to help- other than make food and incessantly hover over Slater and Doc. Ripper was often out- seeing to the somehow still living men in the warehouse out in the country, and that little cockroach of a woman, Lacey. 

They didn't deserve anymore of my time, or my attention. 

It was nearing my birthday too, in two days time- and I would turn the ripe age of twenty four, still in my prime but getting a tad older. Sometimes I looked in the mirror, one of those days where you just really stare at yourself, trying to see underneath the layers. 

I was still the same, but it was my eyes that had changed. Seen things. Done things. 

And some small part of me knew that my 'parents' would be hurt- no one messed with the club and got away with it. No one messed with me and got away with it- and my 'parents' were long in need for this...whatever it was. 

They had scammed, lied, cheated just about everyone in their hometown, and then, when they got rich enough, moved to bigger and better things- money laundering and all the real good shit. 

This wasn't just for me. 

It was for everyone. 

____

It was annoying, to say the least, sitting and watching Teddy and Slater tap away on their laptops, both nodding to each other in some weird hi-tech nerd way. The nodding wasn't annoying, the mere fact I sat there and did nothing was the annoying factor. 

"Calm down honey bee, we've got enough dirt to incarcerate both of them for lifetimes." Slater murmured, gaze flicking to my tapping fingers. 

"It's not that. Are you sure you don't want me to do anything?" 

Teddy's face cracked into a smile, "There she is. The Corin I know and l-..." He cut himself off abruptly, breaking the sudden tension with an awkward cough. "We don't need you to do anything Cor. Why don't you go out for a bit? We'll fill you in on everything later. they should be gone for good soon."

But my parents were like cockroaches. Except they were effortlessly rich and had lawyers that probably made more in an hour than I did in a year. 

My gaze slid to Slater's, who was watching me closely. "We need a good lawyer. And that usually means he'll have through the roof fees." I pulled out my wallet, finding the safe card with my secret account's password on it. 

"I'll be paying for it. I'm going to go and see if I can get in contact with him." 

Slater chucked me his keys, and sent a quick text. "Wait for your lapdog. Seamus should be here in five minutes." 

_____

The number was hard to come by, and I had to flip through my earliest contacts to the private investigator who had originally told me about the cold prosecutor. 

Gavin had immediately texted back, giving me the number of the lawyer. 

I dialled immediately, taking a chip from the bag Seamus offered me, and clearing my throat when the man answered. 

"Hello, this is Gervais Black from Black Barrister and Co."

I fidgeted with my sweater hem and exhaled. "My name is Corin Kane, and I want you to prosecute in a case that will be coming up to bring down my parents." 

There were a few moments of silence- far longer than I would have deemed necessary or comfortable, and the only sound that echoed was Seamus munching on potato crisps. 

"Tell me more." Gervais's voice was quick, sharp and sounded exactly like the prosecutor I needed sounded. 

I rattled off a brief description of what was going on, my history with them and the people that were on the things my family were doing to help me. A pen scratched on paper, and Gervais went silent as he processed what I was saying. 

"Well. I'll take on your case. Keep my phone number, I'll call you about anything I may need. My secretary will be in touch with my case rates, and we will be talking again soon. If your parents are still in Ireland by the time you are taking them to court- or court action is needed, I will be coming to Ireland, which will increase my rates. Do you have any disagreements?" 

My mouth was still open, and I shut it just in case I caught flies. "No-none whatsoever. But may I ask you, why you took it so easily?"

No professional lawyer- especially one on his level- took a case over the phone. 

Gervais cleared his throat, a moment passing before he replied. "You remind me of my daughter. Except, she didn't have help when certain things happened and I...need to help in some sense. That is all." 

He ended the call with a click and I sat back, awe settling into a smile on my face. 

Seamus put another handful of crisps in his mouth, raising a blonde brow. "What's up?"

I grinned, my shoulders a little lighter. "One thing has gone to plan Seamus. And that makes me feel okay." 

He slung an arm around my shoulder, pecking me on the cheek. "Course, Cor. There's too much love for it not to."

My beautiful boy. I gave him a big smile, then an even bigger kiss on his cheek and snuggled into his broadening chest. 

Some things were going right. 

And I let myself be relieved.

_____________

Sorry fam. 

Hope you like.