1 I'm Dying and Burning. Great.

This book is copyrighted. The copying of this text will result in charges. If you are not reading this on Wattpad, then it has been stolen. Please report this to me (MikaelaBender on Wattpad) and get off of the website you found it on, as you may be at risk of a virus. I can then let Wattpad know about the site.

Colton~~

I'm dying.

Six months and it's still the same. The pain hasn't gotten any better. I still ache. I still hurt. I should be over this. Her. Us. But I'm not.

I slam the drawer of the desk shut.

Even I'm fed up with how melodramatic I'm being.

I mean, this is ridiculous. Utterly ridiculous.

And maybe I could have gotten over her if it hadn't been for that. That newspaper.

A picture of Vienna, hidden behind Abella, the princess of France, lies on the desk, the newspaper its printed on folded and crumpled. This isn't my desk though, and it's not my office. I'd much prefer if it was. My office offers privacy. I wouldn't have to worry about nine cousins, a brother or a sister, an Iris, my mother, or my father bursting in and seeing this picture.

We—no, not we. My mother and father decided it would be a good idea for the Order to take a vacation. A two-week long one in Oregon.

"So let the country burn?" I asked when I was told about this.

But Jonas had already figured it out the technicalities, something for which our parents told him he'd be responsible; the old Order is in charge while we're gone, minus my father.

The house we rented is lavish but oh so incredibly small. I'm forced to share a room with Jonas, but August, Eli, and Bently are all squeezed in one together.

I rub my forehead, staring at the picture. She's dressed as if she was born for royal life.

If it wasn't for this trip, I would have never found the newspaper. Back home someone would have made sure it never crossed my path. But there was no one censuring the news in this town in the middle of nowhere.

Despite the travel ban, Elleany isn't closed off to the world virtually and our people devour the news from other countries.

But if Vienna's in France that means Erik's there. They were exported together, for their betrayal against the Society.

Now that I know where she is, what am I supposed to do? Jonas might not know where they were sent, but even if he doesn't see this newspaper, he'd have a very good idea of why I'd suddenly be headed to France.

And he'd stop me.

"Colton?"

I jerk my head up, hand going for the newspaper, but Iris has already lunged for it and grasped it in her hands. Her eyes are wide as she takes in picture and slowly those green eyes rise to meet mine.

"Iris."

She heads for the door but I'm out of my seat and have slammed it shut, positioning my back to it before she can reach it.

She lets out a huff. "I was just going to close it." She looks at the newspaper again. "They're in France."

"If you say anything to Jonas, I will kill you."

"You've tried that before."

"Exactly. I've had practice, and I won't fail this time."