11:20 AM

We got off at New York Penn Station, breathing in the smell of the saw dust covering the floor. We marched up the stairs and into the section with shops and restaurants. I couldn't help but notice the state troopers lined up every few spots or so. "We need exit buddies!" Xavier exclaimed. He grabbed Grace's hand immediately as I claimed Francesca's. Hope rolled her eyes, agreeing to be Henry's exit buddy. Noah and Aaron were already conjoined at the hip, so that was a given. "Good, now bathrooms!"

We must have walked back and forth from each end of Penn Station three times before we finally found a bathroom. Hope, Fran and Grace ran over to it, leaving me with the guys. Not even five seconds later, they stomped back over. "There's no way I'm waiting in that line! Let's go!" Hope huffed.

We made our way back over to the opposite end of the station and made our way up a stair case into the light. Hot air punched us in the face as we left the air conditioning. It was ninety-two degrees in direct sunlight. We sprayed ourselves with sunscreen.

I spun in all directions, trying to find the right angle for a good picture as Henry and Xavier argued over whether we should walk the streets or take the subway. Once I took the picture, Xavier gave in. Francesca agreed with Henry and wanted to walk the streets, after all, it was her first time in New York. Xavier latched onto Grace's hand and tread forward. Hope hopped up, "I still have to pee!"

We walked two blocks until we found a Starbucks joint and went in. Xavier, Noah, Aaron, Henry and I once again stayed behind as Grace, Fran and Hope ran to the bathroom line. Henry hungrily stared at cinnamon buns from behind the glass, "I'm so tempted to get one."

"But we're about to have lunch at the park," Xavier said sassily. Henry pouted but agreed and decided against the purchase. Ten minutes of waiting later, Francesca exited the bathroom last. We weaved through the mini crowd waiting for their lattes and left the building. Xavier once again held Grace's hand. Henry put headphones in, blasting the chaotic city out. Aaron and Noah were already texting on their phones while Hope giddily skipped ahead. I grabbed Francesca's hand with a smile, swinging our arms like children in a park, and walked towards 44th Street.

On 43rd Street, Francesca smiled at me and said, "You know what we're doing?"

"Walking?" I said sarcastically.

She rolled her eyes but smiled anyways, "Working for our prom-bods!" I smiled along with her, thinking about the big dance two weeks away.

Coming up to 44th Street, she let go of my hand. I frowned and looked at her questioningly. She simply waved a hand at me and said, "I'm done with you, bitch!" I chuckled, the swear being one of the top words in her vocabulary. I walked ahead, going in front of Xavier and Grace, who were supposed to be navigating the group. As I got to the corner, ready to cross, I noticed Henry. But he was focused on his music, drowned out from the world.

That's when the screaming started.