Thanksgiving

Chapter 10 | Thanksgiving

November 26, 2009

"Theo?" I had asked, watching his tall form lean against the railing in the evening light. "Why aren't you inside?"

It was Thanksgiving night. Mom had spent the whole day preparing dinner, and it was finally time to eat. I slightly shivered from the air, my hand still poised against the door that lead to the backyard, waiting for Theo to answer my question.

"I'm coming, Shorty." Even when I was a few inches shorter than him, he wouldn't let go of the nickname he gave me from when we were younger.

"What's wrong?" I knew that Theo was feeling more depressed these days. He would've usually followed me inside right away. But he just leaned and stared, barely moving.

"There's nothing wrong."

"When you lie, you steal someone's right to the truth."

He gave a chuckle that was nothing like him. It sounded forced and bitter and just plain wrong. "When did you get so smart?" He was avoiding the question I asked him.

"Stop avoiding the question, Theo. Now seriously, what's wrong?"

"They bullying-- it's getting worse." I had looked into Theo's pale green eyes and saw sadness swirling painfully in them. My hands were clenched into fists, furious with those horrible bullies. I knew he was bullied, but I didn't know why. He never told me.

"It'll get better."

I wished it were true. I would later sit, blankly staring at a wall, wishing it were true. I would later try not to cry, wishing it were true. But little did I know that it would be the last Thanksgiving - last anything - we would spend together.

~*~*~*~*~*~

My hands were sweaty, even in the chilly weather, knowing that my parents were standing next to me outside of the twin's house. Yesterday, I couldn't stop worrying, even though the whole day was dedicated to my-- to my friends. All I could think about was the outcome of today. I had everyone reassure me in so many ways, and before Reece gave me his house address, he squeezed my shoulder and told me it would be alright.

I hoped he wasn't lying.

I wiped my hands on my jeans, then tugged on my scarf for the billionth time. My father knocked on the door, his arm inches away from my face. I then truly started to feel anxious. When Lizzy finally opened the door seconds later with a bright smile on her face, my concerns shimmered down. I knew I'd be okay. Lizzy, Reece, Kate, and Luke would all be there. Their families would be there. It wouldn't be so bad.

"Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Chancellor. My name is Lizzy." Lizzy politely greeted, a small smile graced upon her lips, "Hey, Chance." Chance? I gave her an incredulous look while my parents eyed be. They were probably wondering as to why she called me by my last name, much less as to why she shortened it. But that was normal, right? People called their friends by their last name.

"Hey, Lizzy. Again, thanks for having us on such a short notice." Lizzy waved me off before leading us into the living room. The sound of laughter was prominent and the feeling of warmth was stronger than ever.

Lizzy cleared her throat, "Mom, Dad, and everyone else listening-- this is Mr. and Mrs. Chancellor, and their daughter, Chance."

"Chance Chancellor?" Her mother questioned. Luke snorted and I shot him a quick look.

"No..." I awkwardly started, "It's just a nickname."

They didn't seem to mind. In fact, they sent me greetings and ushered me to my friends. Their parents introduced themselves to my folks and they headed off into the dining room, where I caught a glimpse of all the food prepared. This was extravagant.