Chapter 13 - "Studying"

Mia looked up from the case study she was pretending to read for the last half an hour. Immediately, Leo looked up and followed her gaze, locking eyes with her and giving her his trademark side grin.

"What?" Mia asked.

"Can't concentrate?" he asked playfully.

"No, it's this stupid case study. It's full of numbers I have to analyze. I have to calculate all these different scenarios and I really couldn't care less whether Colgate should sell their toothpaste as brand x or brand z. I don't even know where to begin. I swear these cases are beginning to give me grey hairs!" Mia shouted exasperated.

"Tell me how you really feel," Leo responded jokingly.

"Leo! Don't start with me...I'm seriously about to throw this course packet out the window!" Mia said as she buried her head in her arms on the table.

Leo immediately stood up and kneeled by her side. "Sweetness, it's gonna be alright. I can help you figure it out," he said disentangling her arms.

Mia's head perked up at that statement. "Says the English major?" she asked incredulously. "No offense," she quickly added, thinking he might get mad.

Leo smiled instead. "How did you know?"

Mia blushed. "I may have been paying attention during orientation," she admitted.

"Somehow I find that very comforting. I guess I should say I already knew you were a Psych major before we first went to dinner. You did cause quite an impression on me that day," he smiled widely.

"Should have known. And there I was pouring my soul out to you."

Leo kissed her forehead. "And I'm thankful every day for that."

"Anyway, that's Mr. English major to you. And yes, believe it or not I know a thing or two about finance."

Mia simply raised an eyebrow at him.

Chucking, Leo explained. "I was supposed to be a Finance major. Took classes for almost two years in college before I couldn't take it anymore and switched my major. Needless to say, daddy dearest wasn't happy about that one," he said rather sullenly.

Mia laughed. "If it makes you feel better, my dad didn't find out about my major until after I graduated. He thought I was studying Economics the whole time."

"You sneaky little thing. I think I could learn a thing or two from you."

Mia shrugged. "So I'm assuming you didn't like finance?"

"Hated every second of it. Ironically, I was actually really good at it and got mostly A's in my classes. My dad just couldn't understand why I would want to switch when I was doing so well."

"Your heart wasn't in it," Mia said understanding.

"Exactly. I guess it would have been easiest to just continue but I knew it would just make me miserable in the end."

"And yet here you are taking finance courses all over again."

"I guess the joke's on me now, huh?"

"Definitely not! I can't believe you never told me about this! Do you know how many hours of tears and heartbreak you could have saved me?"

"Heartbreak? So Finance broke your heart? Wait until I get my hands on the bastard and teach him a lesson!"

Mia grinned. "You know what I mean."

"Well, I almost did tell you once upon time," Leo admitted.

Mia thought about that for a second. "That time in the study room," she said when the memory came to her.