Chapter 27 - Wait For Me

Mia walked into Realcafé Bernabéu attached to Leo’s arm. It was a bar on the terrace of Real Madrid’s soccer stadium that opened during the summer when the team wasn’t playing. It really felt as if you were actually inside the stadium and the way it lit up at night was truly spectacular. MBS had rented the entire space out for a few hours, so it would be a great opportunity for all the students to be together for one last time.

Mia spent the night chatting away and taking countless pictures with her closest friends, and even some people she wasn’t that close to. She couldn’t help thinking how bittersweet the feeling was. While she was proud of everything she had accomplished during the last year, she felt like she was leaving something momentous behind. All her struggles, tears, and defeats, mixed with triumph, laughter, and happiness.

And then there was Leo. How she would ever be able to say goodbye to him, she didn’t know. She knew it was the risk she had taken to be with him, but never imagined it would feel this way when it came to an end. Like she would be leaving a part of herself behind.

They were immersed in a private conversation and laughter, when Johan approached them. Leo immediately tensed and stood in front of Mia.

“You can relax Leo, I’m here to apologize,” Johan stated.

“It’s a little late for that, don’t you think?” Leo replied icily.

“Look I know it’s long overdue, but I don’t want this weighing over my shoulders anymore. I’m really sorry for what I did.” Johan looked over Leo to find Mia and he partially stepped out of her way. “I know it’s not an excuse to say that I was drunk out of my mind, but I never meant to intentionally hurt you, Mia. Either of you.”

“You really got some nerve, you know that?” Leo said.

“I don’t expect you to forgive me. I know what I did was completely wrong, and nothing will ever change that. I might be an asshole but I’m not an idiot. I recognize my mistakes. I truly am sorry, please know that.”

Leo was about to tell him off again when Mia stopped him. “Apology accepted. You can run along now,” she stated simply.

“Thank you, Mia. It means a lot to me,” Johan replied. He was about to leave when he stopped to speak again. “You two are really meant to be together. I can see that now.”

He quickly disappeared into the crowd and Mia looked over to find Leo with his jaw dropped.

“I can’t believe you forgave him.”

Mia inhaled sharply. “I know, me neither. But I got to thinking I’m never going to see him again for the rest of my life, so it’s best to just forgive and forget.”

“I guess you’re right. It’s so strange how we’re probably never going to see most of these people here ever again.”

“Yeah…it’s sad if you think about it. I guess it’s just by default. Everyone comes from a different place, and that’s where they’re going back to. But I know who my true friends are, and I’ll be seeing them again,” she smiled.

“You’re such a bigger person than I could ever be. You don’t have a single evil bone in your body, do you?” Leo asked incredulously.

“Don’t get me wrong, I still want to punch Johan in the face…or worse. But I guess having some type of closure works out better.”

“At least he was right about one thing. We are meant to be together.”

She sighed at the thought of that statement and looked out at the view of the stadium, as if she could find the answer somewhere in the horizon. Even if it were true, how could they ever be together living in separate continents? It just seemed so unattainable to her.