S8: Liam | Nia

Sabio was a nation so great that none of the other two nations could attempt espionage. They had shadows of their own, criminals at their disposal and a strange powerful contractor by the King's side.

Everyone who knew the mighty arsenal of Sabio mingled within its borders. In stark contrast, outside the boundary of the great city, poor communities were prevalent in sight.

Some regions were used as plantations to feed the nobles within the great city, and occasionally the offspring would be abducted as slaves for those who could afford. Red eyed humans were commonly sold for a higher price.

This trend caused a great many people to lose their loved ones and surrender their fate under a higher power; causing unjustified devastation and depression. Many were at the mercy of the higher authority: The King.

And amongst the people making a living or simply residing in Sabio was a youth who called himself Liam. A mercenary since young. He never knew of his parents who sold him to be a slave; he escaped slavery all on his own and along the way, he picked up skills here and there. He might be ignorant, but his skills spoke for himself.

At the age of 8, he knew he was living in a world of eat or be eaten, causing him to grow even more merciless over the coming years. He earned his living from killing beasts, assassinating humans and being a bodyguard. He was part of an organization that was established right after King Alfonso's ascension to the throne. This organization would provide civilians a place to learn how to fight by doing requests, much like a Guild. But a more shady business establishment wherein every member's life could be threatened by another. A very tight competition between co-workers where life was always at stake.

Many believed that it was the King who made such arrangements, so he could make use of every fighting prowess when a time came. He was always the insecure King, causing bad management of the nation. This inadvertently led to criminals being able to roam about freely. Unskillful and anxiousness were incompatible with politics. Then came a time when changes made the civilization in Sabio shift to a slightly safer ground.

A formal Educational Institution was established under the name of a foreign ambassador, rumored to be a person of powerful backing. In a few months, many nobles and commoners were enrolled. And in 2 years, many learnt how to efficiently access their magic. King Alfonso felt threatened.

Amidst the looming darkness, Liam, now a 13 years old infamous mercenary shunned by other parties, grew to be too skillful for his own good. He would challenge anyone stronger than him and overcome them in a short amount of time. He stole information concerning Essence Manipulation and adapted it as his own.

He eventually grew bored of being too excellent that he developed a tendency to kill in style, causing his targets to die slowly but with greater pain. He had people he could gather information from. His clients who feared him for what he was capable of doing with no mercy. And one of them was Carlitus Royce Slade.

•  •  •

At 13, Liam amassed fear to a certain number of people that increased his ego even more. He had the skills, he had the heart to bear many tragedies, and nothing could stop his thirst for power. He knew too well how hard being the underdog was and he had the guts to change the tide at a very young age.

But despite how others feared him, they also await when they see a sign of weakness on the youth. For when that time comes, they would pour down every silver and gold they have to get their hands on his head.

(And they eventually did, upon hearing the news he lost at a certain Examination in another nation.)

•  •  •