Chapter 13: Get-a-way

Ashley:

   The hackles on the back of my neck stood up straight as I heard a twig snap behind me.

   I ran at the tree jumped in the air, bounced off of it and pounced on the intruder.

  Halfway through my jump, only did I notice that it was Lance's silver wolf.

I tried to change directions and so instead I ran face first into a boulder.

   I whined as I heard my ankle snap.

Lance instantly came to me , his wet snout on my neck.

  "What's wrong baby ?" He mind linked

His concerned golden eyes met mine and then I broke down.

I shifted back and wrapped my arms around his furry neck.

   I didn't care that I was naked, I didn't care that I was sitting in dirt.

All I cared about was that my best friend was here letting me get him soaking wet with my tears.

I cried for Damian's rejection.

  For nothing in my life making sense.

For having a player as a mate who would rather continue sleeping around than to settle down with a mate who would give up her life for him.

I had always dreamed of my Mate being sympathetic. Caring and romantic. But instead he turned out to be an egotistical jerk who only cared for his next lay.

   "Ashley what's wrong?" Lance whined "I came as soon as I heard your cry. Tell me what's wrong?"

   And that set off more water works.

I cried for what felt hours and Lance was there next to me the whole way. He let me cry on him till I could cry no longer.

     Finally strays of lights were in the horizon when sleep finally took me.

******

"I reject you." Damian's voice rang over and over in my head.

I was surrounded in darkness his voice all around me.

I covered my ears and yet his voice seemed to be directly in my ear. Over and over again !

    "No stop!" I yelled "Stop"

I laid there all alone his voice all around me. I rocked myself back and forth as I tried to drone out his voice.

  To no use.

*******

I jolted awake as someone shook me.

  I blinked dazed as the afternoon light filtered through the curtains.

Suddenly Lance popped in my vision.

   "It was just a bad dream." He sat next to me and hugged me.

Everything rushed to me.

The rejection.

The woods.

    Lance showing up.

Me naked.

I looked down and let out a sigh of relief.

  I had on clothes.

Then I realized that I had to get them on somehow.

"Oh my gosh." I hid my face in his neck as my face flamed.