Chapter 31

I thought back to when I was in my room earlier with Ashton to remember ever putting on lipstick or just any type of lip coloring but all I ever put on them those days was a simple branded chapstick.

I was pulled away from my thoughts when I heard, "Just what?" Readjusting my vision away from the pink stain, Ashton was shoving a meatball in his mouth. His expression was full of wonder, like he was trying to sort his way through and read my thoughts.

"Oh, just Ellen came by to make sure she didn't hurt Ana with her comment, which I don't think she did.... Ana didn't seem too discouraged by it, right?" The last thing I wanted to do was make a scene of this in public. Once we left and were alone, I would speak up. There was no way this could pass by me without something being said.... Here he was freaking out over Luke and I going to Starbucks or something, doing nothing but talking yet he drives a girl home and he comes back with lipstick on the corner of his lips?

Calm down, Jules. Maybe it was just a thank you gesture; a very kind thank you gesture. God, for all I knew I was imagining it and it was just tomato sauce.

"Yeah, I know she's had a very troubled past couple years but I'm not exactly sure how it's affected her," Luke said glancing at both Ashton and me. As I watched his eyes, I saw them nonchalantly scan over the painted lips, examining them. His brows narrowed as if in disbelief but quickly shook off the expression. So I definitely wasn't going crazy; they were there. "Hey uh...Ash. I think you got a little..." Luke rubbed the corner of his mouth with his thumb, giving Ashton the hint. Instead, he swiped his tongue out, making the effort to lick it away.

"Did I get it?" He questioned.

"Nah, mate. Go check it out in the bathroom. It doesn't look like it's gonna go anywhere if you keep licking it like that." Luke chuckled, obviously trying to keep the setting light and happy.

"You're sure it's not tomato sauce?" Ashton assured.

"Just go to the bathroom," I said, my tone short. I was unaware I had been holding my breath trying to keep my thoughts in my head. The last thing I wanted to do was to jump to conclusions but there weren't many other possibilities left for me to think of.

I could feel Ashton's furrowed browed eyes on me as he slid out of the booth as I endlessly twirled at the fettuccine.

"Jules..." Luke said once Ashton turned the corner. "He's not going to be in there long but until this lunch is over, just try to stay calm okay? Last thing we need is for another scene to be made in public and I know you can control it because you're strong as hell." He placed his hand on mine, ceasing it from its constant spinning.

I kept my eyes on my dish. "So you saw it too?"

There was a short pause before he responded with, "Yeah...I did and believe me; I'm pissed too," Letting out a sigh, I closed my eyes.

"I honestly don't understand him," I said, not intending it to come out so quietly. A draft hit my hand, the warmth of his gone.

*Ashton's POV*

"Just go to the bathroom." I could tell she was pissed by the tone of her voice. As I stumbled out of the booth and made my way into the bathroom, my mind ran through everything that could've happened while I was driving Ana back to her house. Maybe Luke pissed her off? But why though? What if him bringing Ana is what bothered her so much...?

Don't think like that. Fuck. I couldn't afford to think like that. I just got her back last night, there was no possible way I was already losing her to...to him. Especially after what happened this morning...God how it felt being able to kiss her like that; to feel her like that. That pro ably sounds so perverted but it was true. I felt so alive in that moment with her...like time had stopped and there was no drama with Charlie or Luke, no shitty parents for her to worry about, nothing. Being with Juliette always felt like that but not that intense.