Chapter 17 - Goodbye

"Theo, I need you!" I cry out as I burst through his office door. I expect to see my favourite pack doctor organizing his medical stuff or writing in patient logs, however, I am met with something else. 

In front of me is Beta Larson in all his glory with a knowing smirk on his face. 

"Shit." I curse under my breath. "I'm sorry, I should have knocked first." I quickly look down, a deep blush covering my face.

"That is perfectly okay, Luna. Let me just pull on my jeans." He replies nonchalantly. "Theo was just giving me a checkup." I hear him fiddling around with what I assume to be his clothing. 

"A naked checkup?" I question. 

Beta Larson chuckles. "Well, Alpha did have me locked up for a while there. And, as I am sure you are aware, I wasn't baking cakes." I hear the zipper of his jeans, and slowly look up at him. 

"What did he do?" I ask quietly, unsure if I really want to know. It hurts me to think of what he went to because of my stupidity.

He inhales deeply and looks away from me. I can see a pained look cross his face and I can tell he is internally debating whether or not he should give me the details of his punishment or not. He wipes across his eyes with his hands, as if he is trying to erase the memories that are burned into his mind. After a few moments, he sighs. "I would rather not say, Luna."

I nod my head, not wanting to push the matter further. The last thing I want to do is cause him more hurt than I already have. "I'm really sorry, Beta Larson. I really didn't mean for that to happen. It was my first heat, and...well, that's no excuse, I should have known better. I could have locked the doors or something. I am so sorry, will you forgive me?" I rush out. 

He quickly walks over to me and puts his hands on my cheeks gently. I look deep into his eyes and find sincerity as he says, "Skylar, this is not your fault at all. It's our instincts that took over. A she-wolf's heat is like kryptonite to us men." He pauses. "If anything, I should be apologizing. Alpha told me to go check and make sure you were in your room. He was worried that another male would smell your heat and take advantage of you. But look what happened. I ended up being that guy. Your scent was so enticing. I have never smelled something so sweet. I wish I fought it. I should have never taken advantage of you like that. I never wanted that. You should know that, Luna. I would never do that in my right frame of mind. I am sorry. I am so sorry."

I want to shake my head no and tell him that it isn't his fault, but his words stop me. "Colton told you to check on me?" I whisper. 

Beta Larson gives me an odd look, trying to figure out what I am asking. "Yes?" He responds and I gently push away from him. 

"That asshole!" I whisper-yell. "That fucken conniving, no-good-for-nothing, manipulative, idiotic, controlling, psychotic prick!" I reach towards Theo's desk to throw a pen or something, but the pain from my broken arm quickly stops me. "Ow!"

Idiot. Ailith mumbles. 

Shut up. 

"Wait, what? And what happened to your arm?" Beta Larson yells, panic evident in his voice. He lightly runs his hand over mine as he looks at my injury that he finally notices. 

"My stupid mate broke my arm and he set us up! He knew that our instincts would take over! He knew that I was in our room. He bloody well watched me go in there! He planned this whole fucken thing! What a fucken asshole! I am so done with this shit!" I yell as I turn on my heel and rush out the office door. 

"Woah, wait there Luna." Beta Larson shouts after me. He grabs my good arm, but I just shake him off. I am on a mission to find out what the fuck is wrong with my mate. "Skylar, you need to calm down!"