Chapter 33 - "Go away and leave me in peace with my misery."

Elliot opened her eyes, her mind buzzing with words, descriptions of scenes and bits of dialogue. The light peering in through the windows was faint and the room still held the darkness of early morning. The house was still. Cece was lost in her computer and Tristan was dead to the world. Elliot tossed aside her blankets and rushed to get ready.

Showered and clothed, in the first outfit she pulled out, she descended the staircase. As she moved to the front door, the sound of rustling blankets made her pause. She waited and listened, one hand outstretched towards the door knob. The noise came again and she moved to the living room. Looking over the back of the couch, she found Milo passed out on it, fully clothed, a blanket draped over his stomach and legs, his head turned towards her. He shifted and Elliot laid her crossed arms on the top of the couch, resting her chin on them.

"You should get a life," she said.

Milo shifted again, facing the back of the couch.

"You don't think I know this," he muttered, his eyes still closed. "I tried. Your sister has ruined me...I hate her."

The corner of Elliot's mouth quirked up.

"You have an odd way of showing hate. You're sleeping on the couch, waiting to see her and you're dating her."

Milo turned again, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Go away and leave me in peace with my misery."

"Alright, whatever you say Romeo."

"I would reply with a Shakespeare quote," he yawned, "but I'm too tired."

"Then I claim the same excuse for my lack of a Shakespeare quote in reply."

"Then we are both in agreement," he said, his eyes still closed and his breathing slowing, "we could produce Shakespearian quotes at the drop of a hat."

"Of course," Elliot said. "Lucky for us, there were no hats dropped this morning."

She stood and took a step back.

"Bye my lifeless friend," she said.

Milo settled deeper into his pillow.

"I blame you...for not killing me...before this happened," he said, his words slightly slurred.

"I will take that blame."

Milo had fallen under the spell of sleep once more by the time Elliot pulled open the door. Street lights winked off as Elliot made her way towards the office. Birds called out noisily, boasting of their early rise and accomplishment of worms gotten.

The emptiness of the office welcomed Elliot as she opened the door. The sky was beginning to lighten, the deep blue giving way to a lighter shade. She moved about making coffee and settling in, as characters talked back and forth with each other, their voices ringing in the quiet.

With her legs crossed and the computer perched on top, she went to work. The silence in the office was kicked out the door by the sound of typing and softly spoken words as she went looking for the right one.

Three coffee refills and two thousand words later, the door to the office opened. Beck paused in the doorway, staring at the sight of Elliot writing away, glasses slipping to the end of her nose.

Without a word of greeting, he entered and closed the door. His presence had no affect on her, her mind lost to another world. He kept glancing at her as he grabbed coffee and settled on the couch opposite her. It wasn't until the sound of his own typing joined hers, that Elliot realized another living soul was in the room.