09. fog

After the boar ran off, and we gained a new member on our expedition, we continued on

After the boar ran off, and we gained a new member on our expedition, we continued on. As much as I didn't want to kill anything, I knew we were desperate for food. Not making it to Mount Weather had really hurt us. 

I took the silence that had fallen across the group to achieve the mission I had set out here to do--talk to Atom. 

The two of us had fallen behind slightly, I was pretty convinced he had been told by Bellamy to make sure I didn't wander off somehow. 

"So," I hummed, glancing over to him with a small smile. "You and Octavia."

His eye roll was immediate as he shook his head. "Is that the whole reason you came—to talk to me about Octavia?"

I shrugged, frowning slightly. "No."

"Are you lying?"

"Maybe."

His eyes darted up to the front of the group where Bellamy was walking with Charlotte. "Bellamy will kill me if I go anywhere near her again."

"Bellamy isn't in charge of her— or you." I pointed out, unsure of when Bellamy began the all-almighty in our camp. "Do whatever you want, Atom."

Quirking a brow, he let out a small sigh. "He strung me up in a tree and left me there, Avery. I'd rather not cross him again."

I did my best to conceal the shocked look that covered my face. I clearly hadn't been informed about that part of the story. "Are you serious?"

Atom dipped his head slightly. "Wish I wasn't."

"I'm sorry he did that to you, Atom. I didn't—"

"Hey!" Bellamy called, turning to look at the two of us. "If you two don't keep up, you're going to get left behind." His eyes then settled solely on Atom for a moment. "You move on quick." He muttered. 

Scoffing, I waved Bellamy off. "Mind your own business, Bellamy. Maybe it'll do you some good."

He paused, brows raised at the fact that I had challenged him. "Watch your mouth."

Charlotte looked between the two of us, her face morphed into a slight frown at our bickering. The other boys ignored us, continuing on their path. 

It seemed Bellamy and I were going to be locked in a never ending staring contest, but something broke it. 

Yelling from somewhere up ahead caught all of our attention, and when I tore my eyes away from Bellamy, I saw what all the commotion was about. 

There was a billowing cloud of yellow fog coming right at us. Whatever it was, it didn't look good. 

Bellamy's instruction for everyone to RUN wasn't entirely necessary. All of us were breaking into a sprint before the words has barely left his mouth.