2 To Memorize Him

Iris~~

In the twin bed beside mine, sleep has overtaken Gwen but it refuses to take me. Every time I close my eyes I'm back at dinner, watching it all play out, realizing Jonas had plans to propose.

But when I open my eyes, I'm plagued with thoughts about the Preeminence coming to visit. He knows of me—knows of my Mark. Has he decided I no longer deserve amnesty?

As complicated as everything is now, how much more complicated would it have become if Jonas and I returned tonight to the house engaged?

It's hard to believe it only almost been a year since we met that night at Brydan's.

I roll onto my side, scrunching my eyes to keep them from drifting open, but instead I see that picture of Vienna. No one in the Order has heard from Erik or Vienna since October when they boarded the plane and left Elleany. France. Of course they would be there.

I inhale and then exhale slowly, trying to force myself to fall over the edge into sleep's hold, but instead my thoughts drift to Jonas and—

I push back the covers. I can't lie here staring into the dark any longer.

After slipping on my sandals, I slide the middle buttons of my cream nightshirt through their holes, covering part of the cropped camisole underneath.

I make my way through the house, keeping my footsteps as silent as possible so as not to wake any of Jonas's cousins. Very rarely do I think any of them manage to get into a dead sleep.

I ease the house's back door open and am greeted with the sounds of the lake water lapping at the shore.

A light on the lake deck glows amber, illuminating Jonas sitting on the edge, hands placed behind him. An open bottle of champagne, one of the bottles we had opened earlier tonight, is at his side.

I cross the grass to reach the deck. My foot has just landed on the pavers of the deck when Jonas's shoulders relax and he says, "Iris," though he never turned around. His voice is gentle enough that I wonder if maybe I only heard the wind.

"Why are you up?"

He looks up at me, his lips quirking into a smirk. "I could ask you the same thing."

"You first."

"I love you."

"And that kept you up?"

"It keeps me up a lot. Thinking."

I step closer to him. "I'm so glad you think."

"You are impossible."

"And I enjoy it."

He shakes his head, smiling. "Iris, I don't care what the rules are anymore. I'm the Preeminence, and I love you. So if I have to plead on my knees before every Order on Amoria, I will." He slowly drops down onto one knee, and my breath seizes. "Marry me, Iris?"

"Jonas, I . . . Are you sure you'll be able to convince them?"

"Colton can marry an Amoris. He's already said he would, and his heir will be Preeminence. I'm supposed to be dead, Iris. This is how it was always supposed to play out."

"You can't tell them that."

"Trust me, please. The last thing I want to do is give you false hope."

I take his hands in mine. "I love you, Jonas. So if it comes to it, you better let me help fight for us."

For a breath of a second, his eyes widen. "Is that a yes buried in there."

I bend down so I'm eyelevel with him. The amber light bathes his face in warmth. "It's a yes, Preeminence."

He lets go of my hands to take me by the face and kiss me. I wrap my arms around him, pressing against him, until we both crash down onto the damp grass. Laughing he pulls away and maneuvers his hand into his pocket, from which he pulls out a thin box.

Inside the box is a silver ring that holds a sapphire of the lightest blue. As he slides it over my fingers, I raise my eyebrows and say, "Is this the day we say screw you to the Society?"

"It feels good, doesn't it?"

"Absolutely incredible."