Kidnaping the Demon Prince

Ridley

The second Vandel lost consciousness my body returned back to normal and I could move freely once more. I stared at Annette and she stared back at me, her eyes opened wide as though she was still registering what she had just done.

"Did I...did I kill him?" She stammered, stumbling back a few steps. I moved towards Vandel and kneeled beside him, pressing my head to his chest.

Finally I shook my head. "No, he's alive."

Then Annette ran to me, pulling me into a tight embrace. "I'm so glad you're okay Ridley!" She exclaimed.

"I should be saying the same thing to you," I replied.

"They moved me to a nicer room with an actual bed and a dresser since I had been 'well behaved'. They said this room would be more suited for the demon prince's soon the be fiancee. The second I noticed the curtains I came up with an idea. The next time the demons brought me my meal I hid the plate. Vandel usually visits me around this time trying to get me to accept his marriage proposal so I hid in the curtains until he showed up. I had no idea you would be with him!" Our gazes both fell to the unconscious Vandel now.

"He won't be out for long," I said quickly. "What should we do?"

Annette perked up. "We should kidnap him and take him back with us! Then we can ransom him. The demon queen would do anything to get her son back!"

I stared at her, my face clearly presenting an expression of disbelief. "You can't be serious. How are we supposed to get him out of here without getting caught? I'm not even sure how we're supposed to get out of here."

Annette pulled at my sleeve excitedly. "I think I might have a plan! I heard Vandel outside of my cell once talking about secret entrances he uses to get in and out of the castle. No one else knows about them except a few of his most trusted servants. From what I overheard I think there's one in the room next to us. If we can find the secret entrance we can escape and take him with us!" I thought about it for a moment. Annette was right, having prince Vandel in our custody would be an amazing asset in our fight against the demons. Then again, the stakes if this plan failed were so high that it was almost frightening.

Annette glanced to me. "We should tie him up in case he wakes up."

I nodded quickly in agreement and began to rummage through the bag I had brought with me, it had been slung across my shoulder this entire time and I had almost completely forgotten about it. It didn't contain much, only my share of the rations I had brought, a sharpening stone, a dagger and some rope. I grinned, it always paid off to be prepared. I wrapped the rope around Vandel's torso tightly and then added an extra knot around his wrists. With a quick nod to Annette I lifted him up, throwing the limp body of the demon prince over my shoulder. Vandel, to my surprise, was much lighter than I expected. I wondered if demons had different builds then humans, maybe Vandel didn't have organs or had hollow bones or something.

Annette peaked her head into the hallway once to make sure the coast was clear before we dashed into the dark hallway.

Annette felt around a moment, her hand finally coming in contact with something. "It's a doorknob!" She exclaimed excitedly. "This must be where the secret entrance is hidden." The door clicked open and we quickly snuck inside. When our eyes finally became accustomed to the dark lighting we realized where we were. A look of confusion fell over Annette's face in the darkness. We had stepped into what appeared to be a cleaning closet. I glanced around, the only reason I could see at all in here was due to the dim moonlight seeping through the window.