Chapter Two

Detective Georgina Easton made her way back to the precinct, it was currently three A.M and as much as she would love to head home, the chief captain wanted her to help question Mr Harry Styles, the prime suspect in this murder case and the young man who dated the victim. After he denied speaking to the police outside the motel room they cuffed him and forced him to follow them into the precinct for questioning.

"Easton!" Chief called.

"Yes sir?" Georgina nodded sharply, following behind him towards the interrogation room where Harry was sitting facing the mirrored wall.

He knew there was somebody behind there, eagerly watching him which made him angrily glare hoping he was making eye contact with someone. What an invasion of privacy? He thought. Why am I even here? He wondered. Why would they think I did this?

____

I sat beside the Chief, Gary, staring at the young man in front of me. He was most likely my age, he was too young to be committing crimes - nobody at this age should be committing any kind of crime, especially not murder.

"So Mr Styles, we would like to know where you were on the fourteenth of September, two thousand and eighteen?"

"I was at a motel with my girlfriend," he answered, his brows raised as he leant back slightly acting as causal as possible and giving us no signs of emotions. Harry thought it was a dumb question, I could see it in his eyes.

"Who is your girlfriend?" Chief asked.

"Term should be who was my girlfriend," he bitterly glared at Gary. "Her name was Ruth Slater."

"Why were you at a motel?" Gary asked, ignoring his bitter statement. He seemed to come off as a very angry young man.

"Having a get away with Ruth," Harry said, the chains on the cuffs attached to his wrists clattered together as he attempted to wriggle his wrists. Sighing when he realised he couldn't even get comfortable he looked up again, this time at me. His green eyes seemed broken, like he was in pain - something tells me it's not from the hand cuffs.

"Get away? But the motel is a fifteen minute drive from the town you both live in," Gary stated, frowning at Harry.

"Our parents don't exactly get along, her parents hate me because I'm too old for her apparently," he rolled his eyes. "And my parents don't like her because she isn't worthy of me... So they claim," he shrugged like he had no idea what they were talking about. "I don't have an apartment because I don't have a lot of money at the moment. We picked the cheapest motel nearby just so we could spend time together alone instead of constantly being at our friends' house."

"Friends?"

"Yes friends. Because our families don't get along we needed somewhere to hang out. So we go to our friends' place just so we can actually hug each other without our families judging," he explained. Gary nodded and looked my way, indicating it was my turn to interrogate.

"Where were you around midnight last night? When the victim was murdered," I clarify.

He rolled his eyes, I can only assume that is because I classified his girlfriend as a victim.

"I was talking to the clerk at the reception," he stated. His eyes looked at me and I immediately felt intimidated by his stare, not because he had some sort of evil look in him that scared me but because his eyes were so green and pretty I couldn't look away to write his answer down.

"You called emergency services at ten minutes past twelve, correct?" Harry simply nodded. "You took ten minutes to talk with a clerk, about what?"

"About the money situation. Ruth and I planned to stay another night and I said I would go talk to the clerk about it before we go to bed. I was short of twenty dollars so I was trying to bargain with him, I also went to get food from a vending machine in the reception."

I've lost count of how many murders that have occurred in hotels and motels where the suspect has stated they went to a vending machine. It's such a common excuse I'm starting to struggle believing it anymore.

"Did you say food?" Gary spoke up, frowning curiously in the direction of Harry. Harry's head slowly turned to look at Gary, nodding his head cautiously. "Easton, take note of that, we'll need to check if there is any food in the room."

Harry didn't object and claim he was wrong or he dropped them before reaching the motel room, so maybe he isn't lying. Usually during an interrogation I have a good judge of character, I can usually tell when someone is lying or I notice a change in their demeanour when certain questions were asked. But Harry gave nothing away and that scared me. He watched me like a hawk as I scribbled down what the captain asked me too.

"Why did you get on top of your girlfriend then Mr Styles?" Gary asked quickly and harshly, staring at Harry's blood stained white t-shirt.

"I tried wake her up, I couldn't understand or believe what happened. That doesn't happen in ten minutes! I don't get it," he practically shouted. "So stop fucking interrogating me I didn't fucking touch her okay! You're wasting your time talking to me when you should be looking for who killed her!"

"Do you think anyone else had a motive?" Gary asked, genuinely interested.

"So many people. Ruth wasn't exactly everyone's cup of tea," Harry grumbled. "She had a lot of enemies," would Harry have gotten angry at her and violently lashed out, not realising how powerful he is which leads to him killing her?

I looked over at Gary who was already staring back at me. "Find more details about her school life, work Place and head over there asap," Gary said loudly, standing up and leaving the room.

"What was your relationship like with Miss Ruth Slater?" I asked, tidying my papers before getting ready to leave the room.

"Like any relationship. We bickered but we loved each other," he shrugged. "Trust me, I wouldn't fucking hurt her."

"Okay," I got up to leave, picking up my notes and opening the door.

"Talk to Will Jensen, he was her ex. Don't go alone, he's fucking crazy," was the last thing Harry said before I shut the door behind me. Will Jensen?

"Kurt get a location on a Will Jensen, he's the ex of the victim," I explained, taking my jacket off the back of my chair and tugging it on me. I wonder if I should believe Harry, considering his stone cold features when we saw the crime scene and his intimidatingly bright green eyes... Maybe he is innocent, I guess I'll decide what I think after I speak with Will Jensen...

______________________

Republished: 10, Dec, 2018