Chapter Twenty Eight

Marley

I squirm under the bright light and groan. Someone loudly squeals, which rings in my ears.

"Richard, she's awake!"

"Why are you being so loud?" I mumble.

I blink twice, then the world comes into focus. Dad skids into the room and wraps his arms around my mother and smiles.

"Hi, Marley."

"What's happening?" I frown.

"You were in an accident, but you're okay now." Tears stream down her cheek, but she's glowing with happiness.

"What happened?"

Instead of answering the question, she practically leaps into the bed with me. She wraps her arms around my neck and nestles me to her chest. I shove her away, but she squeezes me tighter.

"Share her around now," Adam teases as he walks in.

"What am I? Show and tell object?" I grumble.

Adam ruffles my hair and I pout.

The three gather around my bed with cheerful smiles, but under closer inspection, each of them have dark circles under their eyes and wrinkled clothing.

"How long have I been out?"

"Not that long," Dad quickly interjects.

I raise an eyebrow and shake my head.

"How long is not that long?"

"Four months," Mum sheepishly answers.

"Four months?" I gasp. "I don't feel refreshed for sleeping for four months."

"That's because your body has been working hard on recovering." Mum chuckles.

"What happened and when can I leave?"

"You were struck by a hockey puck at a game during school," says Mum. "You won't be allowed to leave until they've given you the all clear, which could take days or weeks depending on the damage."

"The damage?" I frown.

"You were in a serious accident, Marley," Dad comments.

The door opens and a doctor wanders into the room and picks up the clipboard from my bed.

"How are you feeling, Marley?"

"Tired and a bit disorientated."

"All normal. Let me run a few more tests." He puts the clipboard in the slot and wanders over.

The doctor examines my body, then recommends I get more rest, because sleeping for four months isn't enough.

"We'll come see you tomorrow morning, and we'll bring Sarah." Mum smiles.

"Sarah, my best friend?"

"Yes." Mum nods.

"The doctor said there might be issues with your memory."

"Issues, hey?" I sigh.

"Get some rest and we'll see you tomorrow."

"Okay." I nod.

"If you're bored, Sarah's left you cards detailing everything you've missed." Adam chuckles.

"Mm, pass those over."

Adam collects the cards from the window ledge and passes them over.

They give me hugs before leaving me to read the letters. It's more confusing than helpful. I assume I'm supposed to know who Josh is, but nothing comes to mind. I'm sure Sarah will fill in the blanks when I see her.

I place the cards on the side table and turn to the wall. There's a young man leaning against the door frame with a smile.

"You're awake." He grins.

"So it seems." I chuckle.

"How are you feeling?"

"Good, but." I sigh. "Seems like my memory isn't too good today."

He frowns and I can't help kicking myself; how could I forget someone as cute as him?

"I'm Trent, Trent Evans. We go to school together, and I'm friends with your brother." Trent takes a seat on the chair next to the bed.

"It's nice to re-meet you."

"Same to you." He laughs.

"So Trent, why are you here?"

"I hoped you'd remember me."

"I'm sorry." I sigh. "I'm sensing it's something I should remember."

"Nobody else knew, but we had a thing."

"A thing? So we were casual flirters or something more?"

"I wanted to ask, but things were complicated."

"Complicated?"

"Your accident happened."

"Perhaps we can start again?"

"Okay."

"Tell me about yourself, Trent Evans." I smile.

Trent pulls his chair closer to my bed and takes my hand.

"Well Mars, I like a lot of things, including you."

* * * * *