32

Blake

"You don't know a d*mn thing about her and I don't know what you think gives you any right to pretend you do!" I stood from my desk as I shouted at the men in front of me.

"Now Blake," my father said in a warning tone. "This girl is becoming more trouble than she's worth and I won't have that. She's messing with your emotions. Your business sense."

"I couldn't agree more." Jim pushed his way into the conversation. "This is hundreds of thousands of dollars you're throwing away. For what? Some little trick girl? You've got plenty."

"Now you-" I started to speak, but my father interrupted.

"He's right, boy." He said. "Unless you fix these issues, I'm getting rid of her."

"You can't just-"

"Now stop it son." He gave me a glare. Part of me wanted to forget he was my family and just take him out. I wanted to shut him up so I'd get rid of the only person who didn't respect me, but he was still indeed my father.

"I'll fix it." I said flatly, sitting in my chair behind my desk. It was quiet for a moment before my father silently turned around and left the room. I looked at Jim. He stood with his arms crossed and a smug look.

"I knew you'd give in," he said smirking.

"Shut up, Jim." I said glaring.

"You know," he smirked. "A good way to fix this is to get rid of her. I'll even up the offer. Three hundred thousand."

"Jim," I said calmly. "You're not my family, there is nothing keeping me from shooting you right here and now."

"It's just a girl." He defended. "One girl for three hundred thousand dollars... six hundred thousand, Blake."

"Get out," I pulled my gun and gave him a serious look.

He tried to look nonchalant as he rushed out of my office. I leaned forward and pinched the bridge of my nose trying to calm myself. I didn't want to work with Jim. I didn't want anything to do with him, but for her I'd have to come up with something. Anything.

She was still upset about that morning. After her bath she didn't speak to me, just went downstairs with Ronnie. She didn't understand everything that was going on. She didn't know.

I didn't know how I was going to protect her. The threats were coming in by the bundles and the attacks on my businesses were getting to be more common. Before, it was an unheard of thing to fight against something I've claimed or said.

They were right. Having her here was affecting me in ways that I needed to fix. It could destroy the business. I had to do something.

I had to get back to making my rounds, back to my work. I've been so distracted by her.

It's settled. I have to get back to work.

....

"Jade?" I lightly knocked on my bedroom door.

"What?" She snapped.

"Listen," I said as I walked into the room. "I have to go somewhere. I'll be back in a few hours though, okay?"

"Where are you going?" She asked, sitting up from the couch where she'd been reading. Her angry tone disappeared and she sounded worried.

"To work," I sat by her feet on the couch. "It'll just be for a little bit, okay?"

She nodded and looked down at the closed book in her lap. She was reading The Wizard Of Oz.

"I'm sorry about earlier." I said trying to speak softly to her. "No one has to make me keep you. I want you to stay, but the fact of it is, you are a kidnapping victim. You can't stay. People are worried about you. I have to take you home."

It was strange for me to apologize. It felt odd for me to sit down and try to speak gently or kindly to anyone.

"But I don't want to go back." She said looking up at me. Her light eyes glistened with tears and I wanted to just take her in my arms and keep her.

"If you're found here, no one will believe that you wanted to stay."

"So? It's not like you'll get into any trouble for it. I've heard the stories, you've got the police in your pocket."

"Yes darling, I know, but I still have a reputation to uphold." I tried to explain so she could understand. "I can't keep you."

"Well," she looked thoughtful before a bright smile took her lips. "What if we don't tell anyone? You send me home and I come back on my own and then it's just because you met someone, not that you stole someone."

It really seemed like she wanted to stay. Like she actually wanted to be with me and I felt so light and happy.

I couldn't have that. Not her, not this strange joy I'm feeling. I couldn't. I had to get rid of her. This could destroy me.

"No, Jade." I said flatly. I watched her face fall and she looked hurt. I didn't say a word. I couldnt. I just turned around and walked out, slamming the doors behind me. It felt like my world fell when I took her smile and it left an aching pain in my chest.

This is why I can't keep her. She effects my emotions in ways that change everything... Things we shouldnt change.

I went down the stairs and got into the waiting car without a word to anyone.

I had work to do.