In Three Days

“Let’s see…” Mavis hummed as she tried to pick which pasta on the shelf has the best quality, “This one.”

She placed eight bags of the ingredient on the cart her husband was pushing.

“Alright, next is… beer,” Zeref read the list on the paper that Mirajane prepared for them.

They had gone to the grocery store to buy food supply. Again.

“Everyone eats too much, somebody has to go to the grocery store at least 3 times a week,” Mavis said with a giggle.

“Well, you know how it is,” he gave out a smile.

“At least I’m able to get out again,” she whispered to herself.

“What did you say?”

Mavis turned to him with a cheeky smile on her face.

“Nothing,” she answered.

After finishing the entire list of groceries, they started walking to the counter side by side with Zeref pushing the cart forward.

“Why do you think Natsu’s gathering the Family at the Villa in three days?” Mavis curiously looked at him.

“He told me there was an important matter to announce.” He answered.

“What do you think it is?” she innocently awaited his answer.

Zeref stared at her for a moment before he answered.

“I think they might be having a baby,” a gentle smile rested on his lips.

Mavis’ eyes widened in surprise as she stopped to look at him.

“Lucy’s pregnant?”

“That’s what I think.”

“…Ohh…”

They slowly walked towards the counter again.

“Mavis,” Zeref started, getting her attention.

“Yes?”

“Let’s have a baby,” he said with a smile.

She stopped again when she heard him suddenly say this. Her face went red and her eyes widened.

They got married a couple of months before Natsu and Lucy. Having a baby was something she wanted for a while now. It’s not that Zeref didn’t want a child with her. He was busy with work being the Family’s lawyer and all that, but she never complained. She knew he loved her very much. Besides, just like any married couple, they had nights filled with pleasure as well.

Mavis opened her mouth to answer him, but somebody suddenly butted in on their conversation.

“Excuse me,” a young man in his early twenties spoke.

She and Zeref turned to him.

“My friends and I would like to have your number,” he said as he pointed towards two more guys at the corner, they had dreamy smiles on their faces as they waved at her.

“And what are you going to do with it?” Zeref had a sweet smile on, but something about it was different though.

“Just want to get to know her and stuff,” the man answered, handing them his iPhone.

Mavis had a feeling that something was going to happen.

“Alright then,” Zeref extended his hands for the phone. She was looking at him the whole time. Something about his smile wasn’t right.   

As soon as the stranger handed him the phone, Zeref crushed it. Pieces of the gadget dropped on the floor.

“Dude! What are you doing?!”

The man shouted as he stared at his poor cellphone.

“What a pity, I guess you won’t be needing her number anymore,” Zeref’s smile disappeared from his face.

“What’s your problem?! We only wanted to get acquainted with your friend here!”

Wrong choice of words. Zeref’s fingers twitched. He snapped.

Friend?” his voice was malevolent.

He was about to take a step towards the man, ready to beat the life out of him. But Mavis held him back, she clung on his arm with all her might.

She was his wife, not just a friend.

“I-I’m sorry, but I think my husband and I should get going,” she said to the man as she let out a nervous laugh.

“What?!” the man was in shock.

But Mavis had already started pushing Zeref away, not looking back at the man who pitifully picked up the tiny bits of pieces on the floor that he once called ‘Phone’.

“You didn’t have to be so rude,” she lowly said at him.

“He was the one being rude,” Zeref said simply.

She sighed.

“You’re always like this.”

He stopped and turned to her.

“Of course I am,” he said with a serious face, “The moment we met, you were already cursed to be with me. You married a Dragneel, you’re stuck with me. Forever.”

He looked so serious when he said it but she couldn’t help but feel butterflies in her stomach.

Mavis looked away, hiding her face.

“W-What would you want to name our baby when we have one?” she asked shyly.

He couldn’t see her face but he knew she was blushing.

He smiled.

“August. Because we met on the month of August” he answered. (true story)

All the while, they did not know someone else was listening in to their entire conversation. Someone with dark hair.

.

.

OLD APARTMENT

The wooden door opened, he entered with as little noise as possible.

“My Lady…I mean, Tsurara,” he called out to the woman sitting near the small table, “I have something to report.”

She looked at him with anticipating eyes.

“I’m listening.”

“Dragneel is gathering the Family at the Villa in three days.”

For a moment there her eyes sparked, a sick smile plastered on her face.

“How nice of them to make it easier for us,” she said.

“What is your plan?”

Tsurara stared at him who patiently stared back at her.

“Are you willing to die for me, Michaelis?”

Without any hesitation, he gave her a quick answer.

“Of course.”

“Good. Leave the woman to me,” she averted her eyes from him and looked at the gun on the table.

“I want to make Natsu feel the pain of losing someone important.”

.

.