Chapter 7 - Carnival

Devin searches my face while I talk on the phone. His concerned expression then turns into a relieved one when I wish Mrs. Smith prompt recovery of her mother in law.

"It was a mild heart attack. She's recovering at home," I say.

"I'm glad to hear that,"

I glance at him after gathering my purse and my keys. He looks truly relieved and it warms my heart.

"You did well Devin. She kept calm while the ambulance was on the way because of you,"

"I didn't know what else to do besides holding her hand and asking her about the 80s," he shrugs.

"It worked. Now Mrs. Smith has a pissed pre-teen at home complaining about how Madonna granny ruined her party,"

"Bullshit! She was having a party of her own sucking a boy's face," he laughs as he sits in the passenger seat of my van.

"Did she? Good for her then. And we got hired again to throw a party at their home. No thrills for her grandma this time. Something low key in their backyard in two weeks. Luckily I keep the Sundays open for smaller events," I say while starting the van.

"What's the theme?"

A snort escapes me. "I'm rubbing on you! I don't even know why I'm training you to plan and style events when you are a natural at this. Mrs. Smith wants a boho chic party,"

"Boho? Like a vagabond? Is that a thing now with kids?"

"That is a hobo!" I laugh at his mix-up. "Boho is a mix of bohemian and hippy styles. Flowy fabrics, flowers, colorful patterns; some people incorporate Native American elements, but I think those deserve a theme of their own. It's laid back. I think we should aim for a stylish picnic or a dance festival setting,"

"Tania, how do you know all these things?"

"I keep up with trends and I learned a lot about styles during my interior design studies. Did you go to college?"

"No, I've worked full-time since I turned 18,"

"So you started young at the film studio then?"

Devin gets tense for a moment, but relaxes as quickly. "Yeah, I started as the assistant of the assistant and worked my way up,"

"Do you think I have seen any of those movies?"

Devin stares at me and his lovely mouth breaks into a crooked smile. "I don't think so," he shakes his head. "It was a bunch of independent movies,"

I think in the few weeks I have known Devin, this is the longest personal conversation we have had. He isn't a shy man, and has a temper for sure, but seems reserved about his life.

The navigation tells me we've arrived at the right address. We enter through the large gate and park in front of the elegant house. A man opens the front door and invites us in after I let him know the reason of our visit. He escort us to a living room and offers us drinks.

"Remember what we discussed this morning and feel free to ask any questions during the meeting," I say to Devin who nods.

A woman with perfect makeup and chic clothes enters the room with a little one on her hip who is fussing, crying and trying to escape. Her distressed look tells me she is a stranger to the kid.

"You must be Tania," she offers me a hand. "Olivia Johnson and this is my youngest son Mason,"

Oh, so that is the mom. Oops!

"Hello Mrs. Johnson, pleasure to meet you. This is Devin Cole, my business partner,"

Devin gives me an appreciation smile and offers a hand to Mrs. Johnson. "Pleasure to meet you as well,"