03

CHAPTER THREE

SAME white walls surrounded jennie as she sat in the plastic chair.

like any other day, she held onto jisoo's hand. that time, however, she wasn't talking. the girl stayed quiet, silently praying to whoever was up there, past the clouds in the pale sky, listening to her. for days, weeks, her prayers had gone unheard. there was still no change with jisoo's condition, only the similar results each day.

jennie rubbed her thumb over the back of the girl's cold hand, giving it a little squeeze every few minutes.

"so... a new movie came out today," she started, "it's a sci-fi. your favourite."

last time at the movies, jisoo accidentally got them both kicked out. they decided to see a horror movie - big mistake - and the older girl was so spooked out by a jump-scare, she ended up throwing the whole popcorn bucket into the air. jennie couldn't understand how her girlfriend even managed to do that. the two burst out into laughter, gaining an excessive amounts of be quiet's from the other people in the cinema.

so, after exiting the building, they went for ice cream. though, jisoo being herself, dropped the cone on the sidewalk, then complained about how she only took one bite out of it.

jennie gave in to her girlfriend's continuous pleads for them to share her own ice cream. she complied, too quickly, she always thought.

it was difficult for her to ignore jisoo's pout or even her angelic smile. everything about the girl was utterly irresistible. seeing the way her lips curled upwards, was enough to make jennie's mind turn fuzzy, cheeks glow in a dark pink. she used to be able to kiss jisoo's lips, causing the grin on her face to widen.

"once you're out of here, we should go on a date," jennie lifted the girl's hand up to her lips, placing a soft kiss on the skin.

the quiet was peaceful; well, she used to believe it was.

"we could get ice cream," voice tired, wanting to hear jisoo speak instead.

as the seconds ticked by, all jennie wished for was to listen to jisoo's laugh again. her loud, obnoxious laugh, that always seemed to make her heart beat a little faster; feel a little fuller.

the girl leaned down, resting her head near jisoo's shoulder. now allowing the silence to surround them both. then, closing her eyes, she began to pray again. perhaps, it was ridiculous, and possibly no help at all, but jennie couldn't stop. every day turned out the same and she hated it. she desperately needed it to change. she needed her girlfriend back, alive, safely in her arms.

that day, instead of talking, jennie remained quiet.